Breezes Runaway Bay, Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone been there? If so, please post or PM your comments. They claim to be close to the Cayman Wall. Looking for a place that's a good compromise for a non-diver. Is the diving okay?

Daryl Morse:
Anyone been there? If so, please post or PM your comments. They claim to be close to the Cayman Wall. Looking for a place that's a good compromise for a non-diver. Is the diving okay?

I was there a few years ago. Did not like it. Resort is average at best, food is what you find in a cafeteria and diving is poor, probably the worst in the carribean.

Hey Daryl Morse,
In contrast to divebuddy68. I beg to differ. I'd say that diving in Jamaica isn't the fifth circle of hell as he makes it out to be. I also wonder how someone can make such a massive generalization without diving all over the island (as I have) or doing a fair amount of sites.
No flame intended divebuddy68, i'm just saying I think that's unfair.

It's not the best in the Caribbean, due to overfishing (dynamiting for fish in some cases) and nutrient runoff from some rivers.
Anyway be that as it may, the diving is not crap or poor.

I thought i'd offer some practical advice to you. Breeze's Runaway Bay, is a decent resort, i've been at other Breeze's but not at that one. Runaway bay is on the north coast of the island and in that area the diving is characterised by walls which drop to maybe 200-300 ft with 200ft or so from the coast . I've seen beautiful coral reefs, structurally and in terms of diversity and density, although soft coral predominate lots of barrel/tube sponges and so on.

You won't find huge fish in Jamaica (again a result of overfishing) but you'll see the usual characters (angelfish,damselfish,parrotfish, trumpetfish, rays usually southern stingrays, the occasional hawksbill sea turtle et cetera.)

I don't know which dive sites the diveboat at the hotel will frequent, but if you ever do venture outside the hotel. Two great shoredives nearby are Yow's and Pear tree. Yow's is in Trelawny, which is a few miles west of where you are,just follow the main road west and you'll see a sign called Yow's rest stop. Anyway look in my gallery I have some pics from there.

Hope you have a great time and PM if you'd like to know some good dive sites on that side of the island.

Jamdiver is correct that I am generalizing based on a few dives. Good point. I guess my point was that I think there are better choices in the carribean for diving, but if you are looking to party, Jamaica is hard to beat.

I too heard the diving in Jamacia "sucked", but was surprised that it was pretty good. Now it's not as good as some other locations, but it's much better than the diving you get in the northern gulf of mexico, which isn't that bad.

I've heard that Runaway Bay was nice, but I haven't been there.

The diving off the coast of the area north of Negril was pretty good. We stayed at Couples, which is next ot Sandals up there (for reference to area). I was very happy with the diving and ove every day there.

-mike

Here's a pretty good resource for shore dives. Only two are up for now for the entire island, but these are the two shore-dives nearby that I had mentioned with somewhat better directions and description. If you go on the weekend you might encounter local divers there.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Caribbean_/Jamaica_/index.htm

We just got back from Jamaica last Sunday. Granted we didn't stay at Breezes, we were in Negril, but the diving was very good. We stayed at RIU, and their boats were very professional. After the past 3 years heading to Mexico (Akumal) we can say we'll be heading to Jamaica instead of Mexico. The reefs to us were about the same as Mexico, and have improved greatly in the past 5 years. We saw more fish and Rays than in Mexico. The boats were better, they didn't cancel any dives due to not having 4 divers, dive prices cheaper, the food and resort are a TON better. The only down side is that the snorkeling is not good near the shore like Mexico.

The last 2 years I dove the Negril area and had fun. Thr fish are a little small but good counts, the corals, sponges are good in number and size, good number of rays, skates, turtles, morays. Overall fun diving, good temp, good vis, great surface interval. However, better diving can be had elsewhere if diving is the main goal. I do Jamaica once a year for the fun and a little diving, another dive trip elsewhere for the great diving.

We stayed at Couples in Negril and was very happy with the diving there. I didn't expect that much since I'd heard the diving in Jamacia wasn't good, but I was surprised and it was very good.

For a non-diving spouse, if they like standard beach activities, they'll like Couples. The beach was very nice and well kept and the water was crystal clear.

The resort had a Newton 35 dive boat. In fact there is a pict of it on the Newton boats web site. They did a 1 tank dive in the morning and a 1 tank dive in the afternoon. All equipment was included. (sherwood brand). and they set up all your equipment on the boat before you got there.

Nice thing was morning dives were 9am to 10:30 or 11am roughly. With no time limits. Typically an about 10-15 minute boat ride and usually a 60 or less dive. Afternoon dive I think was a 1pm or 2pm and about the same thing. The nice thing about the morning dive was at 9am and it gave you time to get up and go eat a nice breakfast and still be able to make the dive w/o being rushed. Same thing for the afternoon dive. not rushed at all and plenty of time for lunch and time on the beach.
Only thing is that it's best to sign up for the dives the day before, but it was never overcrowded. On saturday they do a two tank dive with the first dive to 95 feet. They don't do an afternoon dive this day as it's when they do boat maintenance they said.

hope this helps with this area. Btw... Couples is on the north end of 7 mile beach area of Negril near Grand Lido, Hedo, Sandals, etc.

I think it is fair to say that the diving in Jamaica is not on the same par with the premier or even average diving for the Caribbean. Granted I only dove off Ocho Rios but it just wasn't on the same level with premier Caribbean diving (Cayman Islands, Cozumel or TCI). I also found it to be well below what I would consider "average" Caribbean diving (Bahamas, USVI). That doesn't mean it "sucked", it just means I wouldn't consider it a dedicated dive destination. You will get wet, you'll see some cool stuff, and it sure beats no diving but don't expect it to be the best you've ever done unless all you have to compare it to is the quarry back home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom