Breezes Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSP Diver - you still planning on going? I just got back and would be happy to fill you in. You won't go wrong with Ocean Encounters - they are great! Professional and simply some of the best people you'll ever meet. Beyond that, let me know what you would like to know.

I've been there 3 times. Twice we used Ocean Encounters. They're great. There are some lockers at the diveshop right at the hotel for your gear if you want to leave it there. Saves having to lug it back and forth.
My first time there we were booked for boat dives all week but the wind was up for a couple of days so the boat didn't go out. We did shore dives instead and they were fantastic.

The last time we were there (Feb '09) we rented a car and did shore dives. We had no issues and enjoyed setting our own time for getting up and out the door.

I've heard the dive bus is good and they are next to the hotel. I hear they charge about the same price as for a boat dives.

If you're staying in the towers furthest from the diveshop (pelican and flamigo), they've been reno'ed lately and are quite nice. Big showers which are great for rinsing gear at the end of the week. These towers are also furthest from the disco which was another plus for us.

Enjoy your trip.

Diverlady

Seanpaul, i'm headed to Breezes and OE next week. i'd like to hear your experiences if you care to share. any tips, tricks, must-bring-with-you, dont-forget-to, etc?

how is the night diving at the resort?
are glow sticks allowed/recommended? (as a marker)
what is your typical dive day like?

thanks.

Hey Spidersense, you are really going to enjoy it! Air temp is 31 C and water temp is 79 F. I dove 2 times a day with just a 3 mm. The hotel has music until midnite and loud everynite, so if you are like me and get up early every morning for scuba this is a killer. Get the rooms facing away from the center of the resort on either end. I hear the ones near the scuba are ok for noise as long as they are facing away from the resort. The internet cafe is not working in case you need to rely on this. There is however Wifi in the lobby.

There is a great place to go in the evening called the Cabana (beach bar)- you need to walk out on the road a little from Breezes (maybe 5 mins). Most of the expats meet up here.

OE is great. At Breezes they let you go out on a shore dive anytime as long as you have a certified buddy, which you will definitely meet there if you are on your own. Or you can always join at the 2:30 pm guided shore dive. The shore dives are included with the all inclusive with Breezes. You will need to do a check dive in any case. I did 5 days boat diving, the 2 tank morning dives. You meet at the dive shop at 8 am. When you go to Klein Curacao or Mushroom Forest you get back at 3pm, they serve you a sandwich on board for lunch. Other morning dives have you back by 12:30. The DMs and Instructors are all very professional, and run conservative dive profiles. The only thing you miss are the big fish. But the reef formations and smaller fish, particularly the abundance of Christmas trees make up for this. Be prepared for big groups, I had 20 people on some of the boats, as few as 10. The recession has not really hit there (thankfully).

They have lockers for your gear, so it is quite easy. Otherwise they have all the gear available there for rent (for the boat dives).

I could go on and on. Let me know if you have something specific. Otherwise, just meet up with Bryan there the first day and he will be glad to help you!

Last edited:
I forgot to mention I didn't do the night dive, so can't help you with that one.

are glow sticks allowed/recommended? (as a marker)

Chemical lights are NOT allowed in Bonaire, so they may not be allowed there. Double check. In all likelihood you won't need them. Pretty hard to get lost when the reef is just off the front step, so to speak. The way I do shore dives is to go out to about 50 feet deep and go one direction. At half a tank I follow the contour up to 25 feet and return. By the time you have a third tank left you should be pretty close to your starting point.

I'm not actually sure what the regulations on chemical markers are here, but they are not really necessary. If you night dive either from Breezes or from Pier you will be able to see the hotel or restaurant lights for most of the dive and the water is very clear. Make sure you check out the shallows along the breakwater for lobster and crabs and there are at least two small octopus in the area.

It's a lovely reef to night dive on so - enjoy! :)

C.

thanks. my wife and i started diving in Bonaire.. so we dont touch anything, feed anything, or wear gloves. we're always shocked when we dive elsewhere and see others touching stuff. maybe we were fantasizing we were in Bonaire!

octopus? awesome. Crowley, think you can tie a chemical marker to one for me? :)

can't wait.. just one more work week........

Thanks for the great visual of Crowley tagging octopus, tarpons, the giant house puffer fish, maybe even the manta ray if it comes back to greet him again.....

Hmmmm - sounds like a challenge to me...! Now, where did I put that manta...!

In the dark, under the lights, the two octopuses that I've seen turn a bright iridescent turquoise colour. Really, really lovely creatures... several times I have found them in about 1ft of water at the end of our night dives, hanging about suspiciously close to the restaurant next door... Probably can smell the crab and lobsters in the kitchen!

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom