Breathing underwater and training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I am presently certified as an padi advanced open water diver. All of my training as been done in Korea. I have logged about 25 dives in water which i consider poor visibility. One to two meters maximum visibility on a good day. Water temperatures usualy cold. I have mostly trained and dived in a dry suit, 4 times in a wet suit. The problem is I don't feel confident in my skills and knowlege.

Questions:

1 What is the best procedure for breathing underwater and breathing for boucancy control? Please explain in detail.

2 I still feel nervous and have anxiety about my diving skill. the PADI courses and textbooks I have used gave the impression of being overviews about diving(not very technical or serious)
Is NAUI a better opption for continuing my training.
I want professional knowlege and training even though I am a recreational diver.
I am the type of person who wants to be confident in my knowlege and skill.
Also does anyone knows a good dive instructor in Korea. I want to continue to master scuba diver.

Did you present these questions and concerns to your instructor? The PADI OW materials contain information essential to start your dive training. If I had my way there are things I would add though. Your instructor should be able to elaborate on the material in the book or answer any questions you might have.

cooper once bubbled...
Also does anyone knows a good dive instructor in Korea. I want to continue to master scuba diver.
...take responsibility for you own education.

Instructor selection is of utmost importance... interview prospective instructors and find the one that seems to be genuinely interested in producing excellent divers not just taking money and handing out cert cards.

Don't be in a hurry to accumulate plastic (cert cards.)
Continuing to master scuba diver in the same manner in which you have *achieved* AOW would not be fruitful imo.

Better to back the cart up and just do a lot of BOW dives until you feel comfortable underwater.

Another option would be to find an instructor you are comfortable with and do a scuba review that way he can fine tune your skill level with the basic skills but most important of all is to dive,dive and then dive some more and don't be pressured into diving beyond your comfort level until you say so.

1st Welcome to the forum Cooper.

now your questions:

1 What is the best procedure for breathing underwater and breathing for boucancy control?

answer 1: The technique of belly breathing works well for buoyancy control. By this I mean to practice breathing by lowering your diaphram, and displacing or pushing out your stomach or belly. You tend to displace less water than if your extend your chest and raise your shoulders. Babies do this naturally at birth but we unlearn this as teenagers because we want to hold our stomachs in to impress the Ladies with our trim waist line, and muscular chests.

2 Is NAUI a better opption for continuing my training.

answer 2: Every angency wiill tell their agency is the best for whatever reasons. I'm dual certifed both NAUI and PADI, and as Uncle Pug has already indicated it's not the agency, it's the indvidual instructor that counts. Look around ask questions, survey graduate students, any instructor worth having will refer you to his students, ask what they liked and didn't like, what the instructor's strengths an weakness are, did the student get personal attention if needed. etc. Jumping into another course is not the way to curb your anxieties. Get more hours diving in comfortable environments, master your buoyancy control, practice your skills, finning, mask clearing, finding your console, monitoring depth, air and time, out of air drills etc. Becoming proficient at the basics will build your compitance and your confidence. Seek out a dive buddy who you trust and is patient, and willing to spend time
with you. A dive club is a good venue for this.

Mike D
:blfish:

In my opinion you are focusing too much on the teaching you receive. You have learned most of what you need to learn (hopefully). THE BEST WAY TO HONE YOUR SKILLS IS BY DIVING!

Back
Top Bottom