Breathing underwater(7ft) diy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
Then I guess you're digging around in the wrong rivers.... :) LOL

Interesting hobby. That river looks just like one where I grew up. It's all full of gold too but nobody has the patience to get it out. If you give me 1/2 I'll tell you where it is..... :)

R..

Rob:

I have a better idea. Next time you visit, we'll get a garden hose, a fan, some metal ducts , transition pieces, and a stationary bike. We'll make our own hooka. By this time next year we'll be set for retirement.

:D

Bill.

Lightning Fish:
Rob:

I have a better idea. Next time you visit, we'll get a garden hose, a fan, some metal ducts , transition pieces, and a stationary bike. We'll make our own hooka. By this time next year we'll be set for retirement.

:D

Bill.

:D ....uuuuuuhhhhh.... OK! I think with a rig like that we'll also need 27kg of chewing gum to plug the holes.... This could get expensive.... LOL. Actually if there's anyone out there with a good chance of making a contraption like that work, you're the one.

You know the river I'm talking about, eh? The mother load is still out there, man!

R..

Very common in the American River in California. Lots of little independents "mining" for gold in the river. Some use Hookahs or home made set-ups, some use tanks. Keeping in mind that at 2 - 3 foot depths a tank probably lasts a fairly long time (although I don't know about 12 hours)

You could ask others mining in your area what they use, but gold-seekers are notoriously unreliable people as far as telling trhe truth.

Since this would be a hobby, I understand the desire to keep the costs down. However, don't add unnecessary risk through "frugality".

You could also consider starting a "business" where equipment might be a write off. Future "earnings" would have to be claimed as income, but it might (I repeat MIGHT) be a viable venture.

Wristshot

jonnythan:
That might work just fine.. but I still say you gotta take the class. Don't know what you don't know.

I notice the compressor only does 45 psi, and at 10 feet that'll be dropping to more like 40 psi. Most regulators I know of work with an IP of 100-140 psi [though I notice that sites sells regulators for the T80].

Many hookah rigs used by gold dredgers have a gasoline oiless compressor, small air tank, and are designed to run on a very low intermediate pressure (under 100 PSI) which require special second stage regulators. An internet search will locate them for you. Training is a must as you are breathing compressed air.

OK guys thanks for your input. Bottom line is there is nothing cheap that I can use to get what I need. I was hoping you guys knew a trick to shallow water diving that I could of used but I guess a oil-less compressor is what I need. I will probably end up getting T80 ($230) compressor and see if my dredge will power it.

Water temperature last weekend was about 49*F. With a 5 mill wet suit it's not bad my problem is my 3 mill booties and 3 mill gloves. I should of spent $10 more and got 5mill.... My dry suit is supposed to arrive in a next few days and then I'll be nice and worm.

I would love to show you guys my gold but I have no camera (stolen on the bay back from a trip to Ukraine). The place that I usually go for gold (East Fork of San Gabriel River, Azusa CA) is the best place that is within reason to drive to. 8 miles up the river from where that picture was taken a guy found a sh** load of gold and nuggets, when I went up there to visit him he had 4.5 and 5.5 oz gold nuggets on him ($550 an oz is the current gold price and for nuggets that size you can easily get 2-3 times the current price.)

That was a great Mr. Wizzard episode back in the day. You would need to have forced induction to make the physics work (ie you respiratory drive overcoming the weight of water). Then you are looking at a motor, waterpoof terminals, electric motor in water, FDA approved materials (not that I really care about everything the FDA says but continued respiration of questionable materials has led to several lung transplants I have worked with!), filter elements, etc. The theory is simple and could probably be done easily, just dont skimp on the safety thinking 7ft is not deep. I would worry about the other issues rather than depth.

I scored a couple of dental air compressors on ebay last month, a pair of fine 3 cylinder critters for $75. At an idle, they'll easily crank out all the air a guy could want.
There are deals to be had out there if you keep an eye out.
Go oilless, saves tons of $$ on not needing an elaborate filter system.
2nd stages can be easily modified to run at 45psi just by replacing a spring. You can go even lower psi if you use a freeflow mask.
Check with the guys at the shop where you take your lessons. :wink:
What size dredge ya got? I'm in Sacramento right now, probably be here 'till the temps hit triple digits.

Bob3:
Check with the guys at the shop where you take your lessons. :wink:
What size dredge ya got? I'm in Sacramento right now, probably be here 'till the temps hit triple digits.

lessons? I don't need no stinken.... jk

I have a small 2 inch dredge (got started with this hobby at the end of last summer) Planing on going to a 3 or maybe a short 4 soon. Also I might be going to Alaska in June to prospect up there for a month. Hope I don't freeze my ***** off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom