Breathing off the same regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Disclaimer—If my buddy or insta – buddy were having an emergency I would do whatever it took to help them.

With training classes and insta-buddies you never know who is going to be breathing off your regulator.
Based on all the communicable diseases in the world, such as Tuberculosis (TB)
, is there
a chance that
someone could infect me?

Disclaimer—If my buddy or insta – buddy were having an emergency I would do whatever it took to help them.

With training classes and insta-buddies you never know who is going to be breathing off your regulator.
, is there
a chance that
someone could infect me?

what did butch say to sundance before the jump?

This winter a met someone on a dive boat that dives with 3 regs. 1 for him, 1 backup for him, and 1 backup for his buddy in an OOA situation.

Personally I think it is overkill. How often do you actually have to share air?

Don't you dive with an octopus? There may be a chance of contracting something from a shared regulator but look at the fact that the regulator is being passed in Salt Water which might "wash" away anything harmful. Why not post this in the Medical section I am sure they can answer ?

, is there
a chance that
someone could infect me?

yes most definitely. I think you are more likely to catch TB on the boat rather than having someone breath from a reg you are not using..

[h=2]How is tuberculosis transmitted?[/h]People with active TB can transmit the bacteria through the air by coughing and sneezing. The bacteria spread through droplets in the saliva or sputum.
When a person with active TB coughs, sneezes, talks, or spits, tiny droplets containing the bacteria are released into the air and can be inhaled by people who are close by. The bacteria can spread from the initial location in the lungs to other parts of the body through the bloodstream. Only a small number of bacteria are needed to cause an infection.
Persons with latent TB infection cannot transmit TB because bacteria are not present in their saliva or sputum.

I apologize for posting this question in the wrong forum. I am relatively new to this site.
Mr. Moderator please delete this thread and also my account.

Thanks

While most divers I know do dive with an alternate air source, many in Europe and some in the far east do not. Neither did Mike Nelson, and James Bond did only sometimes. While it is true that the sharing of a regulator could transmit a disease, it is not likely. I suppose when diving with an insta-buddy you could ad to the pre-dive conversation a discussion of whether either of you has a communicable illness or disease. I must say, i have not done so in the past, but would not be opposed to asking. In any event, that is why I prefer diving with my wife as my buddy, and why I dive with an alternate air source on every dive.
DivemasterDennis

I apologize for posting this question in the wrong forum. I am relatively new to this site.
Mr. Moderator please delete this thread and also my account.

No need for a new member to apologize for using the wrong forum on a site as huge and daunting as ScubaBoard.

Just so you know, if you want to have a moderator do something such as you ask in this post, please use the Report button on a post. That way it will go right to the mods for action. If you just ask for help in a post in a thread, there is a very good possibility that no mod will happen to see it. We just read threads the way anyone else does, so we might not see it.

I will move this for you.

Back
Top Bottom