breathing O2 after a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently got hold of a O2 bottle, and i was wondering if breathing it will help me off gas a little quicker and give me more energy for the drive home and the rest of the day? what about in between dives? will i be able(not that i need to) to lower my pressure group?

IS off gassing too quick dangerous?

1-Stop, don't use it yet. 2-Take an advanced nitrox/decompression techniques course -- your questions will be answered there.

Off-gassing too quickly, in the sense you are using it, is not dangerous, but oxygen is. In addition to being a fire risk, oxygen has toxicity to the lungs and central nervous system (although breathing it one the surface, at 1 ATA, poses essentially no central nervous system risk). Brief periods of breathing O2 on the surface are probably just about harmless, but you don't have any information to allow you to know by how much you have lowered your N2 load by breathing oxygen, so it would not be wise to try to shorten surface intervals or get longer bottom times for additional dives by doing this.

In short, for a recreational diver, the biggest risk of SURFACE oxygen is the handling risk (eg. fire). The benefit is arguable, and O2 should not be used to alter the parameters of repetitive dives.

I'm a firm believer that "green gas is good gas," but knowing how and when to use it is critical. Take the course or at least read several sources and be sure that you understand EVERYTHING there.

well, im in emt school, and they tell us the most important thing that we can give a patient, is oxygen and diesel.

Jorbar1551:
I recently got hold of a O2 bottle...
Where did you get hold of it?

Jorbar1551:
what about in between dives? will i be able(not that i need to) to lower my pressure group?
There's no way that I know of, at least not without being hooked up to some scientific equipment, to track exactly how much N2 you have offgassed while on the oxygen during your surface interval. In other words, using your existing dive tables/computer, how would you know that you have spent enough time during the SI breathing oxygen to effectively change your pressure group from one to the next? If you want to decrease your nitrogen loading then have a look at getting nitrox certified and diving with less nitrogen that way. You would then simply use the dive tables and/or a dive computer designed to track your on- and offgassing times and NDLs specifically for nitrox mixes (you'd also track your oxygen exposure time to avoid the oxtox TSandM mentioned). I normally feel less fatigued after a dive on nitrox, as opposed to air, and there at least seems to be some anecdotal evidence suggesting that it may have something to do with ongassing less N2 during a dive on nitrox. So if your intentions are to extend bottom time, (possibly) shorten surface intervals, and lessen post dive fatigue, then get your nitrox cert and consider using the O2 cylinder for emergencies (always a very good backup) when you go diving :D

Outside of the handling risks, I don't think the cost of the O2 is worth the benefits that you'd get from breathing it at the surface.

Do a search here about being tired between dives and for the rest of the day, you'll find better suggestions about diving practices and such to help.

As for the O2 bottle, keep it for emergencies.

ReefMongoose:
There's no way that I know of, at least not without being hooked up to some scientific equipment, to track exactly how much N2 you have offgassed while on the oxygen during your surface interval. In other words, using your existing dive tables/computer, how would you know that you have spent enough time during the SI breathing oxygen to effectively change your pressure group from one to the next?
I have a table for that somewhere in my files. The only entry I can quote from memory is two hours of pure oxygen at the surface takes you from USN-N to USN-A. One way to figure it out is to use deco software at 1ata/100% O2.

In summary Jorbar1551, forget it. Not a part of save diving protocols, but if you ever need treatment - seek professional help.

BTW, your old dive profile is out of date. Need to update your new one.

Jorbar1551:
well, im in emt school, and they tell us the most important thing that we can give a patient, is oxygen and diesel.
:confused: What...?

Back
Top Bottom