Breakwater conditions today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys

How's the viz at breakwater today?

Anyone got anything to report?

Cheers

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

Temp: 51F (felt chilly in the water though)
Nice and sunny, but felt like an april spring chill.
15ft vis all along the wall.
We dove at low tide and never really went below 20ft until we got past the bend.
Vis went to about ~10ft once the basic "kiddies" started skuttling around, which is pretty freaking amazing in my books.

Overall I'd equate it to a bad vis day at Monastery. ;P

I finally found the Metridium Fields without assistance, although a bit by fortune. Started around 3:00PM and got out in about forty five minutes. Ended up a fairly short dive as my buddy's reg freeflowed and he lost 600-800psi rather quickly.

Close to shore, the surge was quite heavy. At depth, calm and clarity prevailed. I was actually surprised at how clear it was at the Metridium fields. From the balcony of the Monterey Bay Hotel, the water appeared quite murky. Had about 30 feet visibility, perhaps more. Swam through a number of jelly fish (no the tenticled nettles, they just had transparent domes). Some appeared dark purple. Half a dozen sea lions decided to join us for the return to shore. Overall, it was very nice dive.

The wind had shifted and began blowing from the north. I don't think a night dive would have been advisable if the wind had picked up any more strength. Would have made the entries/exits "complicated."

C.

Swam through a number of jelly fish (no the tenticled nettles, they just had transparent domes). Some appeared dark purple.

Sounds like Aurelias (moon jellies). I'd have liked to see that, they don't seem nearly as abundant as the nettles.

I finally found the Metridium Fields without assistance,
... Half a dozen sea lions decided to join us for the return to shore. ...
The wind had shifted and began blowing from the north. I don't think a night dive would have been advisable if the wind had picked up any more strength. Would have made the entries/exits "complicated."
C.

Congratulations on finding the Metridium Fields by yourself! Guy Alcala and I did a big loop yesterday at the Breakwater, we went to the Barge, from there to the Metridium Fields, down the pipe a little bit and then back to the wall (we _almost_ made it, but we hit minimum gas and had to surface), and we also had a group of sea lions shadowing us all dive long. It was pretty cool! 12-15 of them.

And yeah, we were planning on doing a night dive, but the wind picked up, and we were definitely not warming up, so we decided to pack and go have some dinner instead (something hot, definitely).

Sounds like Aurelias (moon jellies). I'd have liked to see that, they don't seem nearly as abundant as the nettles.

Yeah, we saw the moon jellies yesterday (and a couple of nettles too). Once, going to the metridium fields from the pipe, the section between the pipe and the metridiums was chock full of moon jellies, you actually had to gently push them aside to be able to move. It was awesome! :D Unfortunately I haven't seen that many again.

I finally found the Metridium Fields without assistance, although a bit by fortune.

Great job :)! There is an easy way to navigate out to Metridium Fields. If you ever see us at BW just stop by and say hi. Happy to share details.

Started around 3:00PM and got out in about forty five minutes. Ended up a fairly short dive as my buddy's reg freeflowed and he lost 600-800psi rather quickly.

Wow! Glad you two were ok.

I was actually surprised at how clear it was at the Metridium fields. From the balcony of the Monterey Bay Hotel, the water appeared quite murky. Had about 30 feet visibility, perhaps more.

Swam through a number of jelly fish (no the tenticled nettles, they just had transparent domes). Some appeared dark purple. Half a dozen sea lions decided to join us for the return to shore. Overall, it was very nice dive.

Sounds like a fantastic dive!

Congratulations on finding the Metridium Fields by yourself! Guy Alcala and I did a big loop yesterday at the Breakwater, we went to the Barge, from there to the Metridium Fields, down the pipe a little bit and then back to the wall (we _almost_ made it, but we hit minimum gas and had to surface), and we also had a group of sea lions shadowing us all dive long. It was pretty cool! 12-15 of them.

How long did it take you to make the circuit? How long was the leg from the Barge to the Met fields?

Just a quick update- lots of sciencing needs doing today so report will have to wait.

Water was 52oF all the way down to 50 feet. No thermocline. Viz was a fantastic 30 feet. Little bit of surge near the wall. Viz wad the same at metridium fields.

Highlights include a foot long eel chasing after 3 shrimp, lots of squid eggs and a couple cormorants buzzing us at 30 feet.

Good times!

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

How long did it take you to make the circuit? How long was the leg from the Barge to the Met fields?

Hey, Ben!

We had a 52 minute dive, and a warm 54 degrees F. We were kicking all the time, and I had this very, very strange feeling by the time we reached the metridiums. "What's this?" I thought, "It feels so strange! Could it be? Yeah, I guess it's true" I was hot! It's the first time that I'm actually hot while diving in Monterey (it's the first time that I kick that much with the thicker undergarments). I dumped gas from the suit to cool down and was considering pulling the sides of the hood to let water flow around my head :D.

From the Barge to the Metridium Fields is roughly double the distance from the wall to the Barge, about 1200 ft, but there's some structure halfway that helps to verify that you are on track (in case you are like :idk:).

Sounds fun! I'm game, let's do it!

Cool! Let's give it a try sometime.

Highlights include a foot long eel chasing after 3 shrimp, lots of squid eggs and a couple cormorants buzzing us at 30 feet.

Sounds like you had a great time! Seeing cormorants while diving and how they look so unconcerned just checking the sand for snacks is sometimes surreal.

Back
Top Bottom