Branson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k ellis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok Im sure Im in the wrong area of the forum but anyway my instructor told me about a dive site near the dam. How far is this from Branson and is it easy to get to it with traffic and all? and what other locations are great near there?

Last edited:
Ok Im sure Im in the wrong area of the forum but anyway my instructor told me about a dive site near the damn. How far is this from Branson and is it easy to get to it with traffic and all? and what other locations are great near there?

I can direct you to the proper forum if you could give me an idea what part of the world you are talking about. Where is Branson?

LOL Its in Missouri USA

... my instructor told me about a dive site near the damn.

Please ... the profanity is quite unnecessary ...

Just south of the dam on Hwy. 165 is the Dewey Short Visitor Center, go to the small parking area nearest the dam, and down the steps to the rocky shore. The area is roped off from boats, visibility is variable. If you are staying in Branson, it's just a few minutes away.

The place you want is called Dewey Short. At the Table Rock Lake dam there is a Corp of Engineers Park. There are several small docks and rocks trails down to the shoreline. On any good day you will see divers there. Depths can go well past 100 feet, best viz usually below 60 or even below 100 feet. Bring a good light. There is a rope down there that you can follow along but it takes you to no place special really.

DeweyShort1.jpg

When the generation turbines are running you can here them rumble. Not my favorite Table Rock dive but one of the few (two) that don't require a boat. Last time I was there, late May, I went to 110 plus feet here, viz was 30ish and temp was 52 degrees below the second thermocline at 60 feet, the first thermocline is at about 25 feet.

Many Midwest divers thinks a lawnmower at 30 feet is a wreck dive, lol, but Table Rock does have a number of great dives, the Zebulon Pike and the sunken Kimberling Bridge are two of the best.

N

A Google of the Lake showing several of many dive sites in Table Rock, there are many more and not a lawnmower among them, well, uh, maybe one or two.

TableRock1.jpg

We went to Bull Shoals once I think it was. I asked some dive shop "dude" where to dive. Some lady tells me that she "only" dives some place called the Skyhook or something like that, beats the c--- out of me. I went there, BORING. Then the dude told me about a sailboat that was sunk by an island, went there, looked and looked, I have side scan sonar ya know on the Nemrod, I don't see nothing. But, sometimes side scan can miss fiberglass so I donned my twin hose and flippers and over the side I went. I was dead on his GPS mark. I look, I hunt, I look, after a bit I came upon a pile of rock, odd, then I swam to it and on top of it was a plastic sailboat. O-K--K---K--K. Table Rock does not have to fake dive sites, it actually has some. Bull Shoals--per Seinfeld-- fake--fake---fake-!

N

Dewey Short is at the dam of Table Rock Lake. There isn't much at all to see mostly crawfish (craw dads). I want to say it's something close 186 feet deep. As Nemrod said when the turbines are running they do rumble. The deeper you go the louder they get, kind of cool for a minute then it becomes annoying. If you haven't dove there check it out.

To answer your question about Branson. Dewey Short is 10 minutes from the main strip in Branson.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom