Braces and Long Hair Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only good solution I have is a good friend and copeous amounts of wine after a diving week.

2 things my dive instructor recommended for someone else.

First, copious amounts of conditioner and leave it in your hair, then platt your hair before your dive, then dive with the conditionee still in your hair.

Second, get a neoprene mask tamer. It doesn't get caught our pull your hair as you put the mask on and off.

I haven't had long hair in a while but I did have braces. Not Invisalign so biting down on a mouthpiece was a tighter fit. In my opinion I would leave them out for the dive if you have the option to do so. In the end I ended up getting a ots guardian mask which I can't be more happy with. Now biting down on anything,jaw fatigue, fogging, clearing, are all things I don't miss.

In terms of the invisalign - I used to have it, and I still wear my retainers at night/sometimes throughout the day

I've tried diving with the retainer in before. It just feels weird/uncomfortable trying to seal your mouth around the reg's mouthpiece. I felt like my mouth wasn't sitting on reg's mouthpiece correctly and was getting a small water leak and felt like the reg was going to fall out of my mouth. I would recommend just popping them out pre-dive and then rinsing out your mouth when you get back on the boat and popping them back in. I feel your pain about needing them in 22 hours.

I am a guy but have longish hair. I would recommend a thin hood to keep it under control when diving. As for after I have a brushing my dive bag and deal with combing it out.

2 things my dive instructor recommended for someone else.

First, copious amounts of conditioner and leave it in your hair, then platt your hair before your dive, then dive with the conditionee still in your hair.

Second, get a neoprene mask tamer. It doesn't get caught our pull your hair as you put the mask on and off.
Is the conditioner bio-friendly? Must be or there would be some posts on that no doubt.

Back
Top Bottom