Trip Report BRAC Jan 26th-Feb 2nd 2019 Report.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We’re on the Brac right now and hubby saw this whale shark on yesterday’s dive. Can’t complain!
No, you can't awesome!

I don't know. Your photos showed lobsters, turtles, groupers, squid and a whale shark. Looked pretty good to me. Sorry your trip did not turn out better. I was on GC last December and the diving that week was was as good as I've ever experienced anywhere in the Caribbean including Coz, Bon, Cur, Roatan, Utila. I generally enjoy the diving best in Caymans in the late spring and summer when the winds are light, and the water is warmer.

Cayman isn't cheap but then again it's safe, easy to get to, english speaking and you can eat the food and drink the water. The dive ops use large reliable boats and are disciplined, practicing safe protocols. I've been all over the Caribbean but keep coming back to dive the Cayman Islands.

Sorry that your trip was disappointing, I believe that you experienced high winds and rough conditions so that would explain the poor vis.

We were at the CBBR in November and we had a very different experience but we had good weather. There was lots of life on the reefs including loads of friendly groupers. I petted a few of them!

I've always preferred the food at CBBR to LCBR but this last trip I thought that they were about the same. The food was good and plentiful (and I gained weight on that trip!) but not quite as good as I had remembered. One thing I've learned at both resorts is that you should arrive at the dining room promptly, because things start to get picked over by the hordes of hungry divers if you delay.

It was hot when we were there and the pool was warm and they also have a lovely hot tub to enjoy, again maybe the high winds you experienced had cooled things off.

The most surprising thing you mentioned was the unfriendly, rigid dive staff, we have had great trips with Brac divemasters like Barbie and BJ. I wonder if it was because you were with such a large group on a heavily loaded boat and in rough conditions? I suppose that would be stressful and make some divemasters focus strictly on the business and safety issues and forget to relax and smile.

We had a lovely crew on our trip, but we were on a boat that was never more that half-full, the weather was good, and everybody was relaxed and happy, including the crew.

Bar drinks are expensive and they add on a 15% service charge. They do offer the "3 drinks per day" package but we haven't tried it. We usually buy a bottle at the duty-free shop before we depart the US, but you have to put it inside your checked luggage before rechecking and going through security, when you are traveling on to the sister islands. At least that it how it used to work at GCM but has the process changed much for "in transit" travelers as the construction is winding down? We enjoy having an occasional drink at the resort bar but try to limit the number of purchases.

The departure lounge at GCM was still under construction when we were there and there was limited seating, poor acoustics, small, inadequate bathrooms, and only 1 (not good) food vendor - has it gotten any better as they are nearing completion? The rest of our Cayman airport experiences were generally improved and pretty good during our trip.

How did it go for the "long time since my last dive" members of your group that weren't interested in taking a refresher? How did you like the Tibbetts wreck dive? Did you enjoy your "last supper" on GC, and where did you eat? Is there any beach left in front of the Comfort Suites on GC?

Thanks for the report and better luck next trip, wherever you decide to go!

Thanks for the report. Except for the diving, cold pool water, and bland food, sounds like you had a great time!:) Only been on GC myself, but would like to experience the others sometime.

Sorry that your trip was disappointing, I believe that you experienced high winds and rough conditions so that would explain the poor vis.

We were at the CBBR in November and we had a very different experience but we had good weather. There was lots of life on the reefs including loads of friendly groupers. I petted a few of them!

I've always preferred the food at CBBR to LCBR but this last trip I thought that they were about the same. The food was good and plentiful (and I gained weight on that trip!) but not quite as good as I had remembered. One thing I've learned at both resorts is that you should arrive at the dining room promptly, because things start to get picked over by the hordes of hungry divers if you delay.

It was hot when we were there and the pool was warm and they also have a lovely hot tub to enjoy, again maybe the high winds you experienced had cooled things off.

The most surprising thing you mentioned was the unfriendly, rigid dive staff, we have had great trips with Brac divemasters like Barbie and BJ. I wonder if it was because you were with such a large group on a heavily loaded boat and in rough conditions? I suppose that would be stressful and make some divemasters focus strictly on the business and safety issues and forget to relax and smile.

We had a lovely crew on our trip, but we were on a boat that was never more that half-full, the weather was good, and everybody was relaxed and happy, including the crew.

Bar drinks are expensive and they add on a 15% service charge. They do offer the "3 drinks per day" package but we haven't tried it. We usually buy a bottle at the duty-free shop before we depart the US, but you have to put it inside your checked luggage before rechecking and going through security, when you are traveling on to the sister islands. At least that it how it used to work at GCM but has the process changed much for "in transit" travelers as the construction is winding down? We enjoy having an occasional drink at the resort bar but try to limit the number of purchases.

The departure lounge was still under construction when we were there and there was limited seating, poor acoustics, small, inadequate bathrooms, and only 1 (poor) food vendor - has it gotten any better as they are nearing completion? The rest of our Cayman airport experiences were generally improved and pretty good during our trip.

How did it go for the "long time since my last dive" members of your group that weren't interested in taking a refresher? How did you like the Tibbetts wreck dive? Did you enjoy your "last supper" on GC, and where did you eat? Is there any beach left in front of the Comfort Suites on GC?

Thanks for the report and better luck next trip, wherever you decide to go!

We had a few early on hiccups, but overall, the group was great!

Sorry if my write up indicated a bad time...that was not the case at all! We had a great time..it just wasnt as great as other trips..but what right do I have to complain when your on a secluded island in the Caribbean while a Polar Vortex is consuming your home town:)

And who wouldn't like BJ! The few times I followed a DM, BJ was my choice. Born and raised on the island he was a diving Wikipedia!

We ate at Morgan on CG! I must say, it was a fabulous meal and the atmosphere outstanding! I highly recommend eating there.

Here are a few shots of the mile beach area where we stayed and Morgans.

Attachments

• 20190202_093057.jpg
    20190202_093057.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 212
  • 20190202_093101.jpg
    20190202_093101.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 20190201_194251.jpg
    20190201_194251.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 20190201_202551.jpg
    20190201_202551.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 164
...And who wouldn't like BJ! The few times I followed a DM, BJ was my choice. Born and raised on the island he was a diving Wikipedia!...

BJ (Darryl Bud Walton Jr.) was recently inducted into the Scuba Hall of Fame as a local honoree, he is a great role model for young Caymanians that are interested in pursing the diving and watersports industries!

https://www.caymancompass.com/2018/09/12/scuba-diving-hall-of-fame-local-inductees-announced/

Darryl Bud Walton Jr.

Darryl Bud Walton Jr., was born at Faith Hospital, Cayman Brac on Dec. 7, 1987. He completed his primary education at Spot Bay Primary School and secondary education at Layman E. Scott Snr. High School (formerly known as Cayman Brac High School). During high school, he fell in love with the water sports option available through the school’s vocational program. He used the opportunity to become certified and went on to gain employment at Divi Tiara Beach Resort, climbing to the qualification of divemaster.

Mr. Walton worked at the Divi Tiara Beach Resort from 2003 to 2006 until its closure, and was then hired by Reef Divers where he is currently employed. As well as diving, he repairs dive moorings and dive boats, assists with lionfish culls, participates in turtle releases, annual turtle sea swims and various community events. He is certified by PADI and has passed several dive courses offered through his work.

He has been honored twice during the Heroes Day celebrations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom