BP / Wings Concerns..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a brand new halycon rig that I will be using for the first time in 2 days since selling my BC. I sold my BC after getting interested in DIR and future tech diving..,.

I have a few concerns - I have read in Rodale's Scuba Magazine that back inflation pushes one face down in the water when on the surface. Is this so and is this a concern?

My rig is Halycon SS BP and 45# Pioneer wings, Halycon harness and Halycon STA and a single AL80 tank.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I will be in a 12 ft pool with it in 2 days finishing my OW 1 course.

I am hoping that when I use my rig for the first time, I am not disappointed in the entire DIR philosophy...

Thoughts?

Thanks..

Simply lean back, and do not completly fill your wings, and you will be just fine.

OK, thanks!

Is this DIR REALLY whats its all cracked up to be?

You will like the back inflation. Like James said just lean back. If I am on the surface for a while I will often fill mine completly and lay on my back.

Is it all it's cracked up to be? Well that depends on a couple of things. Who you ask is the main one! If you think you will be turned into a diving god, that fish will stop in their tracks to admire your streamlined style and wonder how they can achieve such bouyancy, and that women will swoon whenever they see your surgical tubing regulator necklace, then no. It ain't all it's cracked up to be. If you are doing it to impress the locals and make you look like a serious diver in the cattle boats filled with strokes, then no. However, if you are looking for a no nonsense, well thought out, logical gear configuration, then yes it is.

Once you try it in the pool I think you will love the wing (no more body squeez). Just lay back and don't over inflate the wing. DIR is more than gear - look at the whole picture.
Eric

OK,
Thanks! Let you know tomorrow, and, I have a great wife already - so i don't care about the women 'wooing!' Hahahaha

I just suited up with my entire rig to see how the DIR config is going to work out......wow, is this a sweet system. Its easy to see the quality in the Halycon wings, and the DIR hose configuration is so 'sane!' It'd be SO easy to hand off that 5 ft long hose to a OOA diver and grab the secondary reg. Really nice.

Everyhting in this DIR system seems to just go together and fir right...the single SPG, the bolt snaps on the primary reg and SPG, and the secondary on surgical tubing...just nice. Shoulder straps kinda 'cutting' into me, but I'm told once I get in the water, it will stop - as I didn't have my wetsuit on either...

This DIR thing is really the creme of the crop!

Thanks Irvine!

My shoulder straps cut in too, however, that does go away in water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom