BP&W with Integrated Weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a bit to add here.
I dive a 45# Pioneer (6#, single tank wing) and SS BP, two 5# balast bags (one on each tank band) 5mm two piece wet suit. Mostly cold water diving.
I have a set of the ACB add ons. I had to have them for Rescue training since they wanted me to have ditchable weights. I may use them when I dive in SW since I will need the extra weight. I would rather get the "V weight" that mounts between the tank and BP. The idea of ditching weights doesn't fly with me, I dive Recreationally. No tech stuff yet. I like the tank band ballast bags. They hold a 5# lead weight each. For FW diving, those and the 6# SS BP are enough for me (16#) here in Colorado. The Gulf will cause me to add maybe 10# more weight. That is where the V weight comes in handy, Halcyon sells 8# & 11#. http://www.halcyon.net/mc/weights.shtml
There are people on this board that make them in different weights, or you can make your own.
You trim will be better too. I can come up to 1' below the surface and swim or float horizontle as long as I want. I couldn't do that with a weight belt hanging off my waist, it made my center of gravity too low (tried it in rescue class).
Hope this helps some.
Greg

Doc Intrepid:
Kidspot,
ACBs may make sense in circumstances where a diver may wish to "ditch 1/2 their ballast". Such circumstances are rare in technical diving.

I would have to disagree with you. The only type of diving were I could see the need to ditch weight would be in doubles. First you should be able to swim them up but I've seen a few people post they are not able to when they are full, maybe they're over weighted or need to hit the gym, I don't know. So if you had a bouyancy faliure in the initial part of the dive it would be helpfull to ditch a little weight. If it occured at the end of the dive you should have no problem swimming them up. As far as single tank diving why would you ever have the need to ditch weight? You should have no problem swimming 7-8lbs up; right?

brianwl:
Hi All,

I thought DIR would be the best place to ask this question. I'm in the throes of buying my first BC. I'm either going to go with the Zeagle Ranger or a BP&W setup. The reason I'm looking at the BP&W is that I plan to go tech when I am qualified and don't have the extra cash for having multiple BC's right now, one for rec and one for tech when I get there.

I have been diving with back inflate rental Zeagle Escape and am quite comfortable and actually prefer the back inflate.

My normal diving environment in fresh water with temps in my 40's and 50's below 25ft. So, gloves are the norm. Consequently, unless the pockets are huge, they are useless to me. I prefer "D" rings.

Now, the question, I have a lot of problems with keeping a weight belt in place because I basically have no hips for it to ride, so, I slides down after it gets wet and my wet suit gets compressed. Do they make a BP&W with integrated weights? If so, who?

Thanks

Brian

Brain

Simple answer

Use a steel tank if possible and if you need to add weight put 4-6 pounds on a cam band around your tank.

kidspot,
So where do you see it saying that ACB wasn't DIR?

I'd don't read that in that quotation.

???

Scoobiedoo - (just clarifying) I was using that quote to comment that the ACB did appear to be DIR from my viewpoint (at least in certain instances) as it was advocated in the DIR-F book. This was in response to several posts earlier commenting that they thought the ACB was not DIR. - I just wanted to put it in the form of a question rather than a statement since I'm a student not a teacher or even practitioner (yet) of DIR - I didn't want to be presumptuous in my assertion.

I can see the need of "ditching" at the surface in an emergency - panicked buddy (or self), high seas in open water or damaged wing that's not holding air. Especially after that incident with a group of divers getting left at sea for several hours after their dive off molokini a while back - I know this is talking open water, not caves/overhead.

Of course I should probably just stay out of all this - but too late - I already "put my foot in my mouth" now it's just a question of how much chewing I want to do - lol - But thanks to everyone for allowing me to participate in the discussion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom