BP/W Single hose routing question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gdaaym8z

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok, so I hope this forum will be ok for my question….was hesitant to post it in the DIR forum…as I realize this is not 100% DIR.
I am switching to a BP/W setup and have purchased a Hollis stainless back plate, Hollis Elite 2 harness and an OMS STA with a Hollis 38# single wing.
My question is this, I would like to use a long hose set up and want to make sure that I route the hoses correctly. I am going to use a 7’ primary hose and a 26” secondary or backup hose. With only one first stage, would I route the hose down the right side of the tank (between tank and wing) and under my canister light (right side webbing), across my chest, (right to left), around my neck and into my mouth? The secondary regulator and hose over my right shoulder and hanging from a necklace?
I have read many threads on this and just want to clarify what I believe to be the way to do it….from what I have read. I am anxious to start diving the BP/W.
A thank you in advance for any and all replies.

The Miflex hoses work very well for the secondary, and are less likely to tug on the regulator when you're breathing it.

I prefer a 24" hose for my backup, but to each their own. I still have a 22" but find it too short when my head is turned to the left.

The primary reg hose goes like you said right to left across your chest, then behind your neck back around to your right and into your mouth.

HERE are some pretty good photographs of how things are routed and arranged.

I also think a 26" hose on the backup will be annoyingly long.

My back-up has a 22" hose too :)

My back-up has a 22" hose too :)

Wonder where you got that 22" Halcyon hose from? Hmmm...oh yeah I used to have two, and only have one now.

Miflex maybe nice for some things, but I like my Halcyon hoses as they are higher quality than most LP hoses. After reading a report of the Miflex hose flapping while scootering that put it off the list for me.

Anyone interested in a brand new Miflex bright yellow 40" hose? Oh wait...this is not going to be the right post for that :D

For diving singles you may want to go down to a 5' primary hose. On a single tank you're not going to be doing insane penetration anyway so 5' is long enough. That one would just route from the 1st, under your right arm, across the chest, around the head and to your mouth. It would also be two less feet you'd have to redeploy when you are done!

I started out the same way as you; did a bunch of reading, studied the photos etc. Worked out fine. I would suggest however that you try to find someone who dives that configuration and get some help with the finer details. Not as much with routing and such, more with how not to trap the long hose, how to deploy the long hose for an air share etc. It's simple enough, but a mentor can get you headed in the right direction quicker.

I've used 5' hose on easy dives in Caribbean clear water, but if you have a can light to route the long hose under, you might as well use a 7' and get used to it. I use a 22" hose on the back-up for single tank and 24" on my doubles.

Henrik

Back
Top Bottom