BP/W Rigging Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Run the SPG behind your left shoulder.....You may need a longer HP hose, but you won't need a snap or 'D' ring ( if you want to keep the snap/'D' set-up you can get an 'off-set' D ring )....By running it behind the shoulder you can tuck it in the waist belt or let it hang so all you have to do is grab it w/your left hand for a quick look down at it........It's a more streamlined set up and one less snap/'D' ring....

You can also try a bent d ring with tri glide on the hip, like the ones on your chest. Practice clipping and clipping (it's harder with thick gloves).

Maybe you can post a picture of the problem here? It might help us offer solutions if we see how you have it rigged.

I had the same problem and a fixed d-ring sorted it out.

I'm having a little trouble picturing the problem. On my rig the D-ring/keeper keeps the weight pocket in place against the plate, it's very easy to find and clip to. But my weight pockets are just the XS scuba camband pockets so they're small and they don't get in the way. If I moved the D ring further out on the waist band, the weight pocket would simply slide down the belt until it hit the D ring.

The technique I use (I assume everyone does this) is to more-or-less hold the bolt snap in my palm, using my ring finger and pinky to keep it in place, and push the tab to open with my thumb. That leaves index and middle fingers to feel around for the D ring if necessary.

Is your problem that the D ring is disappearing somewhere behind the weight pocket?

Or use a spring snap that doesn't require your thumb to open. That way you can prop up the D ring w. your thumb while you snap the spg on. I think a spring snap would help even w. the rigid D ring.

As already pointed out, those snaps are called "suicide clips" for a reason and should not be used for diving.

While these are pricey, I like them as fixed d-rings because they don't require a triglide: https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=24

I like the bent D-ring/try-glide because it's cheap, stylish, and not strictly rigid.

I've been using a similar setup as mentioned by another poster above for 5 years without issue. Next to the plate I use an XSscuba trim weight pocket. The D-ring is rigid with a 45* angle. I have no issues finding the D-ring. I went with the rigid so if the weight pocket moves forward slightly, as it sometimes will, the D-ring does not get trapped or blocked by it.

Sent from behind the safety of my keyboard using Tapatalk 2

SPG over the left shoulder, run down alongside the inflator - works for me. The gauge face will be about 3 inches below the inflator mouthpiece. I use a little rubber strap to hold the HP hose to the inflator housing. When you want to see your air pressure, just flip it up into view - no unclipping anything - clean and sanitary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom