BP/W phenomenon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For some reason I have noticed a lot more BP/W posts lately....is it me or is there a growing trend among recreational divers?

I got converted about 18 months or more ago....I noticed interest then, but I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this or is just the same amount of interest?

Maybe some of the older members of the board can chime in on this....and I do mean membership old! :)

J

I think it is only here. We have many advanced and tech oriented divers in this board. They used to lead the trends of public opinion. Some BP/W mania often used to hijack the ordinary style BCDs.

Yeah, I became a BP/W user after then. LOL~~~

jepuskar:
For some reason I have noticed a lot more BP/W posts lately....is it me or is there a growing trend among recreational divers?

There was even a (rather strange and very incomplete) ScubaLab “Backplate Buoyancy Systems” Review in the July 2005 issue of Scuba Diving (formerly Rodale’s).

I see more and more bp/wings around at dive sites.

Of course it's growing. Look at the marketing of backplates lately... we've gone from something like 1 to 6 manufacturers heavily marketing backplates and wings to rec divers in the past few years...

jonnythan:
I see more and more bp/wings around at dive sites.

Of course it's growing. Look at the marketing of backplates lately... we've gone from something like 1 to 6 manufacturers heavily marketing backplates and wings to rec divers in the past few years...

It makes better diving.

It may be growing but by far the vast majority of divers use jackets. I may convert at some point but until I decide to start deco I'm fine with my jacket.

I saw that Rodales article last month, I didnt think much of it at the time...I was suprised that Halcyon was not included but thats another story.

Paolov, more choices normally means a benefit to consumers, but the BP/W and BC thing can be quite confusing to your normal recreational diver. Several people purchase BP/W simply because they read about people liking them soo much when in fact they can use a normal BC and have a happy diving life. Not everyone is overly concerned with their trim.

While good trim IMO is easier achieved in a BP/W, once I dove with a traditional BC after having several dives on the BP/W, I found my trim wasnt to bad at all. Experience compensates for issues like this.

J

Jive,

Your comment about waiting until starting Deco has got me curious. If you are thinking about doing deco diving, I would highly recommend getting into a BP/W ASAP. The reasoning is you'll have alot to digest with the theory/procedures with deco, let alone new equipment. I have about 200 or so dives in my BP/W and they are all purely recreational dives...if I ever move on to deco, I won't have as much to get use to as adjusting straight from a jacket style BC..something to think about.

J

jepuskar:
Jive,

Your comment about waiting until starting Deco has got me curious. If you are thinking about doing deco diving, I would highly recommend getting into a BP/W ASAP. The reasoning is you'll have alot to digest with the theory/procedures with deco, let alone new equipment. I have about 200 or so dives in my BP/W and they are all purely recreational dives...if I ever move on to deco, I won't have as much to get use to as adjusting straight from a jacket style BC..something to think about.

J

i agree , get your BP/W now and get very familiar with it.

I love my bp[w. so far in the pool( just got it) i had no problem getting my trim and the amount of movement i have is just enough to make you want to switch from a bcd to bp[w

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom