BP/W for Newly Certified OW Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaronjweese

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina, United States
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been doing a great deal of research and find myself considering a BP/W as opposed to a jacket style BCD. One of my main reasons for this consideration is the versatility of the BP/W over the jacket with respect to upgrades/additions/and ability to change out components for varying diving conditions and scenarios. I'm looking for thoughts/critiques/insights from all ranges of diving experience on this consideration. Thanks!:popcorn:

Go for it! I can't think of any downside and there is a lot of experience here to help you get started.

The only downside that I can think of is that with a BP/W there is a lot more adjustments that take some time to get figured out when you are first getting going. Where as with most jacket style BCD's there are pretty much set up and ready to go when you get it. A good thing about the BP/W is that you can adjust it to fit you better and get a better position in the water. I personnally just switched to a BP/W system. Thats jsut my 2 cents.

The only downside that I can think of is that with a BP/W there is a lot more adjustments that take some time to get figured out when you are first getting going. Where as with most jacket style BCD's there are pretty much set up and ready to go when you get it. A good thing about the BP/W is that you can adjust it to fit you better and get a better position in the water. I personnally just switched to a BP/W system. Thats jsut my 2 cents.

That was one of my concerns about it.....trying to dial in a BP/W while getting comfy under the water. My first thought is that my experience and comfort level in the water(i partake in just about every other water based activity on top of the water) may assist me in this, but then again I could totally be off base.:idk:

My dive partner has a BP style. And he seems to love it. I will end up getting one when I have the money to spare.
:coffee:

definitely fine for newbies, but certainly best if you have someone to show you stuff in person. the good news is there are plenty of people who can help in your area! da aquamaster lives in arlington, rad diver in va beach, ncdivers.com is a good resource for who is where if you don't get a hit from the nc wreck divers or mid atlantic bottom feeders here on sb. so go for it & give us a shout to help you in person. that'll save you some frustration trying to figure it all out from pictures. one land session & one dive & you'll have it.

That was one of my concerns about it.....trying to dial in a BP/W while getting comfy under the water. My first thought is that my experience and comfort level in the water(i partake in just about every other water based activity on top of the water) may assist me in this, but then again I could totally be off base.:idk:

That really depends on whether or not you have someone who's familiar with how a BP/W is supposed to fit to help you set it up. If you do, it usually takes no more than a dive or two to get the shoulder straps adjusted to the correct length. Once that's done it's a simple matter of subtle adjustments with weighting to get your trim correct ... and that's something you'd be doing no matter what kind of BCD you're wearing.

There's a lot you can learn by asking questions on Internet forums ... but there's really no substitute for hands-on practice with someone who's experienced with this type of setup. There is nothing complicated about it ... a BP/W is just another type of BCD. The adjustments are simple once you know how it's supposed to fit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'd recommend a device similar to the one you have been trained on. If this is a BP/W, no problem. If not, stay with a B.C. until you gain more experience. If you decide to make the switch over later, you will be able to do that.

A BP/W generally requires more complex trim adjustment than a B.C. I don't see an up-side for any new diver to tackle the underwater environment for the first time unsupervised, with further complexity.

A BP/W generally requires more complex trim adjustment than a B.C. I don't see an up-side for any new diver to tackle the underwater environment for the first time unsupervised, with further complexity.

What is complex about a BP/W?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom