bp/w for 12 year old new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BP/W is ideal for kids, because unlike jacket BC's, they won't really outgrow it between ages 10 and adulthood. The most you might need to replace might be the webbing vs going from traditional BCs sized XS to SM to Med etc. in a few years at several hundred dollars each time. With the streamlined design, the Jr divers don't feel as overwhelmed from dealing with ill fitting gear.
Check out a Zeagle Express Tech, a soft plate version of BP/W, light weight for travel and very reasonably priced.

trying to decide between traditional bc or bp/w for my daughter well assuming she does not make cheerleading squad then that money will go towards that. she is taking the course now and checkout dives are first weekend of march and tryouts for cheerleading is the weekend before. so until then anyone have any bad exerience with bp/w for new young diver? she has never seen a bp/w setup for singles and she has used the seaquest perl bc in the pool.

thanks

Yes, there is a downside.

If you first buy them a jacket BC, then let them "try" your BP/W, you won't be able to get them to go back into their own gear. I haven't actually let my kids use my BP/W, but I have let them try an "old school" backpack with no BC in the pool. Now, I'm stuck with a couple of kids poodle jackets. I'll have to come up with a method of attaching a back floatation device to the backpack or I'll be looking for a hiding place for my new Freedom Plate & Mach V wing.

If you're buying new, you'll find in the long run that a BP&W is less expensive, more versatile, and a system that will grow with her.

We have put a couple of teenaged students into backplates for their OW classes with no issues. If your daughter is small-framed, you might want to purchase a setup that offers a size small backplate, like Deep Sea Supply.

I've been using one of their Kydex plates and totally love it! May be something to look into as I'd imagine it may be easy as a kid to get quickly over weighted.

I talked with Tobin for about 20 minutes yesterday and he gave me his thoughts and i think he was/is spot on. my wife is apprehensive about the bp/w. My daughter has used the seaquest pearl in the pool and loves it then she had to use the normal rental bc and hates it. wife wants to get something she is comfortable in so she will enjoy diving more but that dang bc is over 500 bucks. so time will tell who wins out. I think wants my daughter sees the pink oxycheq wing with pink webbing she will be sold regardless.

Tobin told you to buy a wing from Patrick?.........now I've heard everything!:D

Tobin/DSS Seems to make a Great Product equal to about anything out have not really heard anything bad or negative about his products. I myself have not tried one I got great deal on BP/W from my LDS which sold Halcyon so made life easy.

Most likely once my daughter is old enough to dive That is more than likely what she will be diving in. Luckilly when we bought our systems We got the Doubles wing for an extra 100.00 which is a great deal and now my G/F is diving doubles so only thing needed is a Plate.

I am sure once you give it to her and she get in the water with it she will like a lot. You yourself dive one so i am sure you can compare diffences.

something will have to be pink. as long as it has pink lettering or something like the seaquest pearl, the oxycheq wing, or just pink webbing maybe ill just get her a dive knife sheath in pink. i think DSS makes a more durable product but what ever is chosen price will be the ultimate factor. i hope she is fine with a black wing if thats what we get so i can use it from time to time. im defintely shopping around i have been in contact with tobin, edd from caveadventures, and monday we are supposed to talk with the "mann" at the LDS. now if the prices are all comparable i will go with what i think is better long term. Honestly unless she fits in a medium BC that will not be a long term investment to make. Although i still have two kids yet to be of age to dive so maybe it will a long term investment. Good thing i have two weeks to decide.

3 years ago my nine year old daughter wanted to learn how to scuba dive. She was just shy of 3 months to turn 10 so I looked around for a BP/wing for her. DSS and Tobin came to the rescue. My daughter has a Kydex backplate and a 27# wing. I don't think there was model number on the wintg back then. Back then my daughter was 4 foot 6 inches. Today she is 5 foot 4 inches and still dives the same plate and wing. She does wear a weight belt when she dives and she prefers it over weight pockets.

She is 12 years old and she wants to go back to Cozumel asap. Most of her diving has been with a 3mm suit, so she would use 8# of lead in salt water. The nice thing about her growing up, is she can use an AL 80 now.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom