Question BOV for Choptima?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What happens if you cannot plug into your off-board gas? Do you have a primary regulator attached to the cylinder?
There is an onboard O2 tank not shown that sits under the scrubber cannister at the bottom of the unit the dil is offboarded.

The QC6 female plug shown in photo, means you have to replace the low pressure inflater hose on the off-board dil, (whether backmounted, staged or sidemounted) with a QC6 male plug. This means if diving in mixed teams you can't necessarily swap stages etc and I know some people that carry a QC6 to LPI adapter in their pockets if this is a concern.

The reason you are unable to locate a specific recommendation is that there is not a recommended one for the Choptima.

I would ask why you feel like one is necessary?
(Please don’t actually answer that as there is not enough time for the BOV/DSV argument.)
Well for one reason (without getting into the BOV vs DSV argument) is that the ADV on the Dvesoft BOV is better than the stock standard one provided on the Choptima.

OP is asking about what BOVs fit onto their rebreather in question. The answer is, pretty much any good BOV is likely to work.

Well for one reason (without getting into the BOV vs DSV argument) is that the ADV on the Dvesoft BOV is better than the stock standard one provided on the Choptima.

Not for much longer ;-)

I think one misconception about BOVs is that they "add complexity" or are "too bulky."

You already need some open circuit regulators on your rig. Why not put one of them right where your mouth is?

Have you ever considered bungeeing a backup/bailout reg around your neck? A BOV is simpler and less bulky than that.

But you can't donate a BOV. You will still need a reg on a 5(+) foot hose to do that.

Another misconception is that it is not a DSV.

A BOV is also a DSV. Unplug it from a BO gas and wow look, a DSV. Proceed per DSV operations.

Perhaps the biggest safety advantage that few admit is that with a proper working BOV, we are far more likely to decide to breathe a safe OC gas sooner, for any reason that might come up. Because there is zero effort or clutter. Turn knob, figure yourself out, then finish your dive however appropriate. Necklaced regs can almost reach that level of convenience--almost.

The reason you are unable to locate a specific recommendation is that there is not a recommended one for the Choptima.

I would ask why you feel like one is necessary?
(Please don’t actually answer that as there is not enough time for the BOV/DSV argument.)
Not for much longer ;-)
OK we will discuss in Oct when you Boom me and my rEvo at Marc's :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom