Bouyancy preference for camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crawl79

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
I have never taken a picture underwater and I'm thinking about getting started soon or atleast by next year.
I have a simple question. What is the bouyancy preference for the camera in water? Positive, neutral, or negative.
Just asking as I saw some cameras have a place to add ballast weight.

I have a Rebel in an Ike housing, with two DS-125 strobes and it is a little negative which I prefer. The front end does get as little floaty with the 8" dome but it is still negative overall.

I like that mine (Canon A95) is slightly positive. I just slide the cord over my elbow and it doesn't bother me there.

I'm also one who prefers a little positive. Clip if to your shoulder d ring and it's out of the way, for me, until I need it.

I prefer slightly negative...unless you're over a really deep abyss, a dropped camera is easier to find (it will normally stay where it is) than is a camera which floats to the surface, and then goes wherever the current & winds take it. I've chased down lots of customers' cameras over the years (one guy 4 dives = 4 cameras floating away...he just refused to use the rubber band) but if you are diligent about securely attaching the camera to something, I guess that wouldn't really be a concern. I had one diver years back with an UW video....buoyancy was as close to neutral as humanly possible...unfortunately, he lost it during a dive, even though he thought it was clipped securely. Since it wouldn't quickly float OR sink, it slowly drifted with the current underwater. 4 of us spent 2 dives....about 1:20 total....looking for that video, with no luck. Probably down in the muck on the bottom of Apra Harbor (Guam) to this day.

Thanks everyone, I thought I would like a camera slightly positive as well but now I'm starting to think negative wouldnt be so bad as long as I'm not diving in the Blue Hole or on a Rig Dive in the Gulf.

I have a Reefmaster DC310 which is positive without the wide-angle lens or additional weight, but negative with one of the two. I prefer it slightly negative because it stows better that way.

Slightly positive, so I know which way to look (up) if it gets away from me.

For me it depends on which camera.

For my smaller compacts I prefer slightly positive so when I am not using it I can slide it up my arm and it's out of harm's way and I don't think about it.

For my larger rigs I prefer slightly negative so I can set it down if I want to and it will stay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom