Bought a van. Give me some suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PEDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
As the diving addiction continues to grow, I recently got a great deal on a van and want to outfit it for diving. I live in FL and mostly cave dive or take the occasional trip to wreck dive in the Keys.

I’m starting from a blank slate, so would love to get suggestions on modifications to make. Already considering basic changes like adding a small workstation + storage, bungee racks for doubles / stages / SM bottles, small bench for changing into drysuit, wall bungees to hang reels, spools, lights, etc.

What would you add in your scuba van?

Not sure what these are but do you want your stuff banging a concerto in your head

wall bungees

What's a van mate where are your photos

As the diving addiction continues to grow, I recently got a great deal on a van and want to outfit it for diving. I live in FL and mostly cave dive or take the occasional trip to wreck dive in the Keys.

I’m starting from a blank slate, so would love to get suggestions on modifications to make. Already considering basic changes like adding a small workstation + storage, bungee racks for doubles / stages / SM bottles, small bench for changing into drysuit, wall bungees to hang reels, spools, lights, etc.

What would you add in your scuba van?
Pete @The Chairman did a custom build on a van a few years ago. Worthwhile finding that thread to see how to do it right.

Separate living space from “the dive shop”.

The most under-utilized space in the medium and high roof Transit is right behind the cockpit. Can build a Navy berth high.

I’d use L track for anchoring cylinders, twinsets and scooters. E track is overkill and takes up a lot of space.

Don’t install a rooftop A/C. Noisy and won’t sleep well. Use a room A/C with exhaust to passenger window. That means you need power. Dive where you have power OR get a small generator OR go crazy ($$$) with solar panels, batteries and a 12v A/C.

Textured vinyl floor better than coin flooring for sweeping water and sand out.

Put cylinders on driver’s right to balance out the fuel tank load.

Have fun!

Don’t install a rooftop A/C. Noisy and won’t sleep well. Use a room A/C with exhaust to passenger window.
@NothingClever,

Interesting. Have you seen this done? I'm trying to imagine how this would work. You park your van at a campsite, and then ... what? You let down the passenger window enough to put in place a panel that has the exhaust vent from the room/portable A/C unit plumbed/ducted through? Presumably the A/C unit is set up, maybe strapped down, somewhere behind the passenger seat?

Can you secure the van given that the passenger window is rolled down partially and this panel is in place? (You'd want the van secured while you're on your dive, correct?)

Whenever you need to move the van (e.g., to go get gas fills), do you need to "disassemble" things?

I've been reading about Mercedes Sprinter Van builds. People are recommending choose a (aftermarket) rooftop A/C unit that will function both underway and on shore power (120v). They are saying that the Sprinter's normal (front) A/C can't keep the interior of the van cool enough while underway.

TIA,
rx7diver

1720359563348.png

1720359584895.png

1720359648229.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom