Bought a SOLA 1200 Dive/Video Light...now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
At the Our World Underwater show in Chicago this past weekend, my fiancee and I stumbled upon an awesome deal on a gopro tray + 2 arms + SOLA 1200 Dive/Video light + mounting kits. After walking past the booth 3x and gentle nudging, I decided to go for it just based on the deal alone.

Currently I have been rocking my GPHero2 with just a pistol grip mount and a SRP Dome Filter. Can someone explain this to me like I am 5? Will I still be able to use the filter? Are there situations where the filter is more preferable than lights/vice versa? I think the Light and Motion guy told me that the SOLA 1200 lights are good for an object up to 6 feet away, is this true? Any basic tips on shooting with lights?

Yes, you can use both at the same time but preferably deeper than 20 ft or so to avoid getting a red tint because of the filter. You won't need either above 20 ft.

While on the surface these torches can light up a lot, down there things are different. Six feet sounds about right, they won't make much of a difference farther than that during the day. On a night dive or wreck or under ledges, you can notice light a littler further away.

Yes, you can use both at the same time but preferably deeper than 20 ft or so to avoid getting a red tint because of the filter. You won't need either above 20 ft.

While on the surface these torches can light up a lot, down there things are different. Six feet sounds about right, they won't make much of a difference farther than that during the day. On a night dive or wreck or under ledges, you can notice light a littler further away.

Good to know, thank you! I did not know that I could use both the filter and the light at depth. I figured with the subject of filming less than 6 feet away with the light on, the filter would just tint everything like on the surface.

Good to know, thank you! I did not know that I could use both the filter and the light at depth. I figured with the subject of filming less than 6 feet away with the light on, the filter would just tint everything like on the surface.

If you are really close to a subject with filter + light, you will get some red tint that is easy to correct. The filter will still correct everything else in the background which is why I leave mine on even with lights when filming during the day. There are times during the day where even if your light/s are on they are doing absolutely nothing so just leave the filter on as if you had no lights. You can take the filter off if you go inside a wreck or somewhere really dark.

I use dual Sola 1200s and find their effect extends a bit beyond six feet although it is most effective within that range. On night dives I can image objects as far as 20 ft away at times (although not with perfect resolution). I use mine on low power almost all the time since I tend to film up close and personal.

Would it be better to use the "spotlight" or "flood" setting during the day?

Flood only, spot will just look like a lightsaber. Which can look ok for effect, say in a dark cave, if the light is handheld and not attached to the camera.

I posted this video which was all taken with 2 Sola 600's AND the SRP filter. The white underside of the sharks goes slightly red when up close but it is simple to click on that with WB tool and set it to white meanwhile the filter works on everything else. I've since re-rendered this video for better colours and no blown out highlights, old version still on youtube.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/447482-hero3-black-first-video-sharks.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom