Bottom Timers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe R.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Doe anyone know of a good bottom timer and where I can purchase it? Thanks,Joe R.

Beyond keeping time that you are in the water, any other features you want?

Myself, I am considering just using my inexpensive Casio watch (available cheep at WalMart) and marking start/stop times on a wrist slate.

There are others from UWATEC, OMS, and others that will do everything a dive computer will do short of N2 exposure calculations.

We had a long discussion on dive computers that have a bottom timer (aka "Gauge") mode that can be set at:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t4835/s.html

Seems that a lot of computers are coming out these days with a gauge option, and the price delta between a "just a" BT and a computer that can be put in a BT mode is almost nothing.

Roak

Thanks for the suggestions. My computor has a gauge mode and the watch idea is good but I've seen some bottom timers that seem easier to read. Plus a dedicated 'timer only' seems like an excellant policy. I saw a couple, ie tectronics (used) for around $50.00,that may be fine and every now and then one comes up on ebay. I'm sure its a case of 'what do you want to spend' and 'how much do you like being married'!

I've been using my old Aladin Pro as a timer for years -- not too good. I've just been too lazy to buy a real timer, I guess. I've decided to buy the Vyper one of these days. My buddy has just ordered one, so I'll take a look at it. Otherwise, the Uwatec (same as OMS) is the standard BT. I use a Timex dive watch as a backup (found in Walmart).

Good luck.

Mike

I find the uwatec seems to work flawlessly...

Have to run 2 for mix:D Good thing they are not to expensive!

NINJA:ninja:

uwatec sounds good. How much is the ballpark estimate? The watch idea too is good but they usually don't fit over suits.

I have that watch band called -- The Band :rolleyes:. It's basically a really long velcro band that can wrap around a suit easily. I got mine at Walmart.

A good price for the Uwatec would be in the $120 range. My LDS sells it for $150. The OMS is usually a bit cheaper. You can get a metric version of the Uwatec at Simply Scuba for about $80. I asked them a while ago if they could get one in imperial, and they told me no.

Take care.

Mike

i use SHOCK cord on all gauges etc. no messing around with
straps.

wooooooo !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom