Boston - Diver missing, search suspended

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim and I had been friends for many years. His two children and their mother are the closest thing to family I have. Although diving alone is never reccomended, you cannot tell a grown man what he may and may not do. His family have suffered a blow that will have repercussions for years to come. How can people continue to find fault and point fingers. YES!!! Tim was certified. He was for many years. He was a very experienced diver. He had three spotters in 20 ft of water because there were three people on the boat. They never found Tim. I went to a memorial service for him last week. Accidents are senseless and often have many victims. It's time for people to stop pointing fingers and look for some good to come out of it. I know that his brother and many of our friends used to go in the water alone. I'm sure that will never happen again.
Im sorry for your friend, but with all due respect, this section of the forum is for discussing accidents for the purpose of learning from what has gone wrong for others. Its not about pointing fingers, its about trying to find out what has gone wrong (or possibly has gone wrong) and learn from it in order to try avoiding it happening again in the future. The fact that this diver was solo was probably NOT by itself the cause of this tragic accident, but yes, it might have been a contributing factor. It might also NOT have been a contributing factor.

This forum is good for discussion, but common sense and discretion go a long ways. When newspaper ghols show up at accidents to take insensitive pictures the on scene pros 'prevent' the harm this might cause by covering the victum. Discuss yes... but to suggest and imply without evidence is offensive. Think before you write.

The weekend paper reported Tim's body was recovered about 150 yards from shore. An autopsy is being performed.

I think it is important to remember that we are looking into the incident, not the person. SOmetimes it is easy for us to seemingly find faullt with people on a personal level.

I am very sorry about your friend.

I know that their are many of us here who have made a quick 20 foot dive unaccompanied. I would think that there is more to this than the lack of a buddy.

Back
Top Bottom