Boston - Diver missing, search suspended

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BladesRobinson

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
FLORIDA / LAT 27°39.133' / LON 080°22.261' / ICW M
Sunday, September 2, 2007
Coast Guard suspends search for missing scuba diver
The Associated Press
one_pixel_transparent.gif

BOSTON— The Coast Guard has suspended the search for a missing scuba diver.

Timothy Ericcson was reported missing at about 3 p.m. yesterday about a quarter mile off the coast of Scituate. He was diving for lobster.

The Coast Guard says he had three spotters in a 28-foot vessel track his bubbles.

When bubbles were no longer visible, they called for help. The diver was at a depth of about 20-feet.

The Coast Guard searched an area over 50 square miles before suspending the search just after 8 p.m. tonight.

The Coast Guard was helped in the search by the State Police dive team, Scituate Harbormaster, Scituate Fire Department divers, Marshfield Harbormaster, and Massachusetts Environmental Police.

[SIZE=+1]Diver missing off Scituate[/SIZE]

By The Patriot Ledger
SCITUATE - A 29-year-old man who was diving off Scituate is missing.

The Coast Guard suspended its search on Sunday night for Timothy Ericcson after conducting seven searches in a 50-square-mile area.

Ericcson was diving off Fourth Cliff on Saturday with a flag attached to himself, Coast Guard Petty Officer First Class Derek Leblanc said. A boat was following him with spotters watching his air bubbles come to the surface.

At about 3 p.m., the observers noticed that the bubbles had stopped. They pulled on the line with the flag and found out that it was no longer attached, Leblanc said.

Ericcson’s brother, who was on the boat, called the Coast Guard, which began searching the area with the help of dive teams from the Scituate and Marshfield harbormasters’ offices and State Police, Leblanc said. Crews searched overnight Saturday and into Sunday evening.

they say why the flag was no longer attached? had it been cut or unclipped or something?

Was he even certified? Why would he have three people looking for bubbles in twenty feet of water? And if they stop, call for help. Why was he by himself......? Sounds peculiar to me.

Mr. B

An updated article from
http://www.townonline.com/scituate/homepage/x298909573

Search for missing diver suspended

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Ryan Bray
GateHouse News Service
Thu Sep 06, 2007, 11:06 AM EDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scituate -
The Coast Guard has suspended its search of a 29-year old man who has been reported missing since Saturday afternoon and is presumed dead.

According to a release from the Coast Guard, Timothy Ericson was reported missing to the Scituate harbormaster’s office, which called the Coast Guard for assistance in a search Saturday afternoon. The report stated that Ericson had been scuba diving while looking for lobster off of a recreational boat when passengers lost track of him about a quarter-mile south of New Inlet near Scituate.

Ericson, an electrician and father of two, was last seen Saturday afternoon when he dove off a 28-foot boat near Fourth Cliff. He had a flag attached to him by a rope so that his spotters could see where he was in the water. His brother Dennis and two friends watched his air bubbles come to the surface, but after about 15 minutes, Dennis said they noticed the bubbles stopped. They pulled on the line but it was no longer attached to Ericson.

“It was just another ordinary day,” Dennis Ericson said. “We went out, got him suited up. He just said, ‘This is one of my good spots I always go down.’”

The Coast Guard conducted seven surface searches over 50 square miles from 3 p.m. until shortly after 8 p.m. Saturday before suspending the search. The Massachusetts State Police dive team, Massachusetts Environmental Police, the Marshfield and Scituate harbormaster offices and the Scituate Fire Department dive team all assisted in the rescue efforts.

"This has truly been a cooperative search effort involving numerous state and local agencies. The local support was a real asset in this case and we appreciate all the time and effort of all who assisted in the search," said Lt. William Houde, Coast Guard Sector Boston duty officer, in the release.

Marshfield Harbormaster Mike DiMeo said water conditions were rough, as the current was strong and there was an unusually high tide. When Ericson dove, the tide was going out.

“It’s very hard to dive in that kind of current,’ DiMeo said. “With the extra current, he could’ve been swept out to sea.”

But Ericson’s brother said it was a typical dive. Ericson was a certified diver, and his friend and co-worker Keith Fuller said he dove in that same spot many times.

“It wasn’t uncommon for Tim to dive by himself,” Fuller said. “He had hundreds of dives under his belt. He loved the sport. Crazy things happen. He was just a go-getter, always doing what he wanted to do. He loved it.”

Petty Officer Etta Smith said Coast Guard officials have reason to believe Ericson is from Marshfield, but that has yet to be confirmed. He attended Marshfield schools before enrolling at South Shore Vocational-Technical School.

The search is one of a series the Coast Guard has been involved in since Labor Day weekend. A Wellfleet resident who was reported missing while riding his jet ski was found in Eastham after a two-hour search Saturday night, while another jet skier who was reported lost near Plum Island was found early Sunday morning.

Another search for an off-duty Coast Guard employee who fell overboard his vessel in the Fore River in Maine has been suspended.

Smith said the search for Ericson would remain suspended pending further evidence supporting that he may still be alive.

“We’ve stopped an active search until we receive any further active reports,” Smith said.

Lots of experienced divers around here sometimes dive alone. Most of the time its dive alone or you don't go. The old 'never dive alone' cliche' can sometimes offer false security because all divers should be able to take care of themselves in emergencies. I know wreck and cave diving are an other subject but if there is no overhead and you are relatively shallow [and you are experienced] solo diving is safe. And guessing about a divers death during the grieving process or worse, being critical is not going to help anyone. My sincere condolence to Tim's family.

Lots of experienced divers around here sometimes dive alone. Most of the time its dive alone or you don't go. The old 'never dive alone' cliche' can sometimes offer false security because all divers should be able to take care of themselves in emergencies. I know wreck and cave diving are an other subject but if there is no overhead and you are relatively shallow [and you are experienced] solo diving is safe. And guessing about a divers death during the grieving process or worse, being critical is not going to help anyone. My sincere condolence to Tim's family.
Well, this IS in the accidents and incidents forum and for us to be able to learn anything from such a tragic, but unfortunately most often avoidable, incident is to discuss it.
One of the people I knew and a friend of his got killed in a car accident just last weekend (just over a week ago). The car was found probably around 6 hours after the accident which had no witnesses. Lets just say that I know a lot of people would like to know what exactly happened..

Tim and I had been friends for many years. His two children and their mother are the closest thing to family I have. Although diving alone is never reccomended, you cannot tell a grown man what he may and may not do. His family have suffered a blow that will have repercussions for years to come. How can people continue to find fault and point fingers. YES!!! Tim was certified. He was for many years. He was a very experienced diver. He had three spotters in 20 ft of water because there were three people on the boat. They never found Tim. I went to a memorial service for him last week. Accidents are senseless and often have many victims. It's time for people to stop pointing fingers and look for some good to come out of it. I know that his brother and many of our friends used to go in the water alone. I'm sure that will never happen again.

Then again, if it was the rough conditions that caused the loss of this diver, if there were more than one diver, there could be more than one missing diver.

Back
Top Bottom