Boston calling!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corregidor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All,

For the past 5 years I've been diving the Philippines. I vacation there each year for 3 to 5 weeks and try a different island in the Visayas each time. This year in December I'll take the Divemaster course in Bohol - I can't wait!

Short bio: New England diver, always lived in Massachusetts, diving Rockport, Gloucester, and Maine. First certified NAUI in 1975; no BC, no SPG, just one hose on the reg - it seems crazy now! :eek: Next certified to PADI Rescue in 1986. Stopped diving in 1990 as I didn't like the cold anymore. But when I went to the Philippines in 1998 I discovered warm-water diving and now I love it again.

Lots of good info on the board, I really enjoy it!

Cheers,
Jim

Welcome to the board Jim.
There are actually a lot of us oldtimers who started with one hose & a J-valve & didn't even know it was a problem.
I also took a long Surface Interval while living in Mass. (way to cold for a Florida Redneck).
Glad your diving again, enjoy the board.

Actually, to be more accurate, it was Florida that spoiled me. I dove the springs and caverns around Lake City in 1990 and that was the start of my long surface interval. Beautiful spots there - Troy Spring, Cow Spring, Blue Spring, Peacock Slough...

Ok, only 48 more posts to get the avatar :)

Jim

Welcome

There are a ton of us active divers in the New England Lobstah Divahs forum (NELD). I think you should reconsider your choice of not diving up here...during the summer, with the proper exposure protection, it really isn't that cold...especially shallow where the lobsters are.

But, this is coming from someone who dives year-round, so I'm maybe a bit biased.

Yeah, I think about it sometimes. I used to really enjoy the scallop dives up in Maine in November - fog, cold and high current but it was great fun. Most of my dives were Rockport/Gloucester for bugs but we did night dives for fun or a wreck once in a while like the Chester Polling. I'm made a few dives in February too.

Trouble is, the Philippines is just so easy (once you get there). You can get a cottage right on the beach, right next to the dive shop with the boat out front, and just dive - everything is taken care of for you. And it's cheap; a week with full board, boat dives and gear included for under $600. Not to mention the wonders of tropical diving - huge Napoleon fish, big turtles, etc. - it's Paradise!

This board is great. I'm learning a lot about the newer gear. After renting for the last 5 years I'm ready to buy again but I'm taking my time, making decisions with travel considerations in mind.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom