Borderline or semi-nonclinical DCS II?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexsani

New
Reaction score
I'm 28, 165 lbs, good shape. Recreational diver on air only, since Feb 2002.

After 3 months without diving, I went back in on Sat morning, for 2 dives.

First dive averaged ~55 ft with 40-42 mins bottom time, reached the end of the "green" on the computer (last green before the yellow c.z.) and had a loooong safety stop at 15-20 ft (6-7 min or so). Computer backed up one mark prior to heading up from the safety stop.

Surface interval was just about one hour, maybe a few minutes longer.

Second dive: averaged 45-50 ft, 35-40 min bottom time, computer indicated last green mark after 4-6 min safety stop.

3 hours after the last surfacing I did an hour of light-medium duty yardwork and went swimming for 15 mins about 4 hours post-dive. Upon return, I noticed some very minor tingling, mostly in my left hand and fingers - light enough that I didn't know if it was actually real. Perhaps it was repetitive stress of using a sprayer bottle too much during the yardwork. Later that night I felt it a little more and started to worry - it became more noticeable after I lied down.

On Sunday morning, I had no symptoms after I got up, until I had a coffee around 2 PM and did some rapid walking. I also felt like my hands were colder than they should be - like poor circulation. Could have been due to stress thinking about possibly having DCI and a high deductible heath plan.

I called DAN later on Sunday - the paramedic said it likely wasn't DCI because tingling would be continuous and not stop for hours at a time. Also, he noted my 2 conservative dives. He cleared me to fly out this morning (44 hours post-dive) on a 1000-mile business trip. Right away I felt a lot better - no more tingling and warm hands, which reinforced the mainly-psychosomatic explanation.

I thought at least the flight would be the ultimate test - if it was DCI I'd become much worse upon take off with a 25-33% growth in the size of the bubbles. At least then I'd know for sure...

The flight 2 hours and 15 mins in the air, and I was relieved not to feel worse at altitude. I even walked around to use the lavs 90 minutes into the flight and felt nothing worse than prior - just the occasional very light tingle.

This has been continuing on and off after the flight - ever-so-slight tingles, coldish hands. Very rarely, I feel light prickling in another part of the body, usually bottom of feet. Still, half the time I have no symptoms.

I know that we all get slight DCI after each dive as we off-gas (which explains feeling tired, etc.) - perhaps I've gotten it a little more than normal, for some unexplained/undeserved reason.

Is this DCI, contrary to what the DAN paramedic thought? Has anyone had any similar experiences? At 52 hours post-dive, is the chamber going to do me any good now? Could this cause any long-term damage? This has scared me enough from diving that I'll stop for a while, and switch to Nitrox on air tables if I dive in the future... Before reading these boards on Sunday I thought one is only at risk for DCI when you break the rules.

-- Alex.

Hello alex:

It is more likely that the physical activity elicited some reaction that resulted in the tingling sensation than gas bubbles from the dives hours before.

It is always smart, however, to refrain from too much physical activity for hours following a dive. This is especially true if one has performed multiple dives or decompression diving.

More likely than not, the DAN responder provided a correct response. Divers are always conscious of problems following diving. Some are almost in a hypochondriac state that every twinge is DCS. Others are in such denial over problems that they continue to drink beer to ward off the flu.:06:

Diver should maintain a high “index of suspicion,” but here I believe that muscular exertion is the cause of the problem.

Since your problem is almost assuredly not DCS, a treatment in the chamber would not be of much benefit.

Dr Deco :doctor:

The only problem with this theory is that I have done far more strenuous activity on a regular basis and have never had such tingling, let alone have it last 48 hours (as of now).

There seems to be a causation (direct or indirect), or at least a definite correlation, between the diving and the tingles.

Please correct any aspect of this that is implausible, but I theorize that the activity "shook the soda can" enough to cause more and larger bubbles to form at that time, which irritated some nerve endings enough to cause tingles. To explain the lack of discernible increase in symptoms upon decreasing cabin pressure, the bubbles could be gone and the irritation still present...

-- Alex.

Dr Deco:
Hello alex:

It is more likely that the physical activity elicited some reaction that resulted in the tingling sensation than gas bubbles from the dives hours before.

Hello alex:

My suspicion of a non-diving cause is based mostly on the small gas loads from the dives and the several hours post dive that the activity occurred.

It is possible that bubbles are the cause, but I would suspect that some other cause. I also have done many things in my life that did not result in numbness and tingling. As I move along in time, things happen in this regard. Since I do not dive anymore, I must attribute these sensations to the effects of time.

I also doubt that you were bent.

I get the tingles all the time even without diving.

What I like is the 5 minute neuro exam. Learn it and if you and your buddy do an exam before diving and after any differences will be clear and obvious. Also, if you have symptoms a few hours later you can have your buddy come by and do the neuro again and see if there is a significant change.

Often when there is DCI, the 5 minute neuro will turn up something that you are missing entirely, like a wear grip on one side. This gives a direct indication and gives you something to hang your hat on for calling EMS and going to the chamber. If there is no change then it reassures you that you really are OK.

It is not the be all and end all but is another tool for your bag of tricks.

Hello -

I had this happen just this week.

My right big toe fell asleep during deco, tingled throughout my 10 minute surface deco. The next day after a similar dive I had my right hand tingle after lugging an AL80 stage around. The next day after another deco dive my left arm fell asleep as I was reading a book.

Each event had me thinking, "Oh no! DCI".

Right now, several days later, my left foot is tingling as I've been sitting for a while. My right foot fell asleep during a meeting a few hours ago.

So, I think tingling and sleeping extremities are pretty common. When they happen after a big dive I am concerned. When they happen "during the week" I just ignore them.

Perhaps the same thing happens to you.

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom