Boots for Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Razmataz78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there

Just finished opening all my Christmas presents (we get presents on the 24th in Denmark:10:). Got a nice pair of Mero 6,5 mil. boots.

The boots seem very nice (I am a newbie :wink:, so not sure what to look for except a nice fit). However, I am probably only going to use them for tropical diving (Egypt, Thailand...) and was wondering whether there are any major downsides to thick boots. Obviously, I would never want to dive a 7 mil wetsuit in Egypt - I would probably collapse before I got in the water, but I am pretty sure, that thick boots alone wont give me a heatstroke.

Sorry, I am rambling. Short story: any reasons to get a pair of 3 mil or 5 mil boots for tropical diving?

- Rasmus

It depends on the person. In my 3mm suit, my feet are like ROCKS. They sink like crazy. To counteract this, I just bought a pair of Tusa 5mm boots (zip-up high top) to replace my XS Scuba 2mm low top boots. Some people like to have thicker boots to protect their feet from hard-pocket fins (SP Jets for instance). If it's comfortable and it fits, that's all that matters!

Thanks for the reply :D

Any extra boyancy from thick boots would only be an advantage, as my feet tend to sink as well. I guess, I'll hang on to them

- Rasmus

Hi there

Just finished opening all my Christmas presents (we get presents on the 24th in Denmark:10:). Got a nice pair of Mero 6,5 mil. boots.

The boots seem very nice (I am a newbie :wink:, so not sure what to look for except a nice fit). However, I am probably only going to use them for tropical diving (Egypt, Thailand...) and was wondering whether there are any major downsides to thick boots. Obviously, I would never want to dive a 7 mil wetsuit in Egypt - I would probably collapse before I got in the water, but I am pretty sure, that thick boots alone wont give me a heatstroke.

Sorry, I am rambling. Short story: any reasons to get a pair of 3 mil or 5 mil boots for tropical diving?

- Rasmus

I've been using 6mm boots for warm water diving. They take a long time to dry. Other than that no problems.

About Egypt, when I was there in March, everyone was using either a 7mm fullsuit or a drysuit.

About Egypt, when I was there in March, everyone was using either a 7mm fullsuit or a drysuit.

Perhaps I should have written that I'll be going in july or August :wink:

- But just out of curiosity. Isn't a drysuit overkill in Egypt even in the winther? (unless, of course, you are going to do really deep and/or dives taking hours - Which I won't be doing with my OW certificate and vast experience of 12 dives :D)

Back
Top Bottom