Books on Sailing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juls64

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Anyone on this board that sails and can recommend some good books on learning to sail. There are tons of books out there, I'm just trying to narrow down the field a bit.

I am planning on learning to sail next summer in Lake Michigan. The sailing 101 course trains with J/22 sailboats. I've played with Hobie Cats and Sunfish in Jamaica, but would like to step it up a bit. Thought I would get out a few times as a passenger this summer and begin some independent study.

Julie

Juls64:
I am planning on learning to sail next summer in Lake Michigan. The sailing 101 course trains with J/22 sailboats. I've played with Hobie Cats and Sunfish in Jamaica, but would like to step it up a bit. Thought I would get out a few times as a passenger this summer and begin some independent study.
Going to a bigger boat doesn't mean more skill is needed. Often it is just the opposite.

My favorite intro text is The Complete Sailor: Learning the Art of Sailing, by David Seidman. Easy to understand illustrations. Starts with the very basics. It was my primary reference for learning how to sail after buying a 14' Marconi rigged sailboat. Before that I had never sailed before.

Charlie99:
Going to a bigger boat doesn't mean more skill is needed. Often it is just the opposite.

I can totally agree with you there. I had a heck of a time keeping those Sunfish upright. The Hobies were much easier.

What I meant by stepping it up, is that previously I was at a resort, there was very little boat traffic, we just shoved off and did our thing. Now I want to add motor operation, docking, safety, laws and regulations. All the other stuff!

Thank you for the recommendations!

Julie

do a search, i'm not sure that he's done books but buddy melges (americas cup teams, and son of owner of megles boat works) did several really good articles on sailing smaller boats. as has been previously stated there isnt a lot of difference, in the operation, just the application.

i love sailing and have spent many summers racing butterflies and then MCs.

/john

Edit: not sure i have the name spelled correctly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom