Booking through PADI travel or Liveaboard...what's your experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThisHat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are considering our first liveaboard in Raja Ampat aboard MSY Seahorse. Prices seem pretty mid-range and are basically the same at Liveaboard.com or booking through PADI Travel. Any preferences out there?

We've checked out the boat, amenities and the route and it seems good. We have the insurance, #dives and certs needed.

I like their clean site interfaces and used them for researching some options, but I didn't book with either directly (I did with PADI Travel's predecessor Diviac once, and that went okay). Undercurrent.com has an old 2017 free access article that may be of interest:

Those Internet-Based Dive Travel Websites​

Those Internet-Based Dive Travel Websites
what they mean for you and the industry

A big question is how much hand holding/guidance a dive travel agent/agency will provide over and beyond just booking the trip.

There are a number of reputable dive travel agents referenced on ScubaBoard; for my trip to Raja Ampat in Dec. 2022 (a first for me; did a 10-night Indo-Siren liveaboard trip), I used Bluewater Dive Travel (my agent was Tim Yeo) and was pleased. I linked my trip report in case it may have some useful info.

I prefer to book directly with the company that owns the boat- that way I can make sure there are no surprises or miscommunications (and if there's something like another worldwide shutdown you'll have more flexibility without going through a third party). Like @drrich2 said I use PADI Travel and Liveboard for research between boats.

It looks like this is the company that owns Seahorse and Ambai, I would reach out to them directly.

Thank you both for the reply. @drrich2 compliments to you for the detailed write-up very informative thank you

The reputation of dive travel agencies took a nosedive since COVID due to the poor treatment of their customers and monies not being refunded. You might take a look at the post here on SB. If I remember, PADI Travel and Liveaboard.com did not get high marks.

Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes​

I had my own negative experience with Master Liveaboards/Worldwide Dive & Sail/Siren Fleet/Blue O Two and those were direct bookings. Their conglomerate of companies didn't make it and they filed the equivalent of bankruptcy in the U.K. Here's an interesting article. Blue O Two - what actually happened | Scuba Diver Mag

Bluewater Dive Travel seems to have survived the COVID crisis, and they are regarded favorably here on SB. For a complicated trip with lots of moving parts, an experienced dive travel agency can be invaluable for working through the logistics. However, if you've done lots of overseas diving, you probably can manage on your own by booking direct.

I also book trips directly with the company that owns the boat when possible. My trip was CA to Jakarta, stay overnight in the travel hotel in the airport, then domestic flight to Sorong. If staying at the travel hotel, yes, pay them the trivial fee to handle taking you to the domestic terminal. Could be helpful to have a local along.

The boat will likely pick you up from the local airport (Sorong). Arrive the day before at least to allow for problems. Then the same route out and consider leaving a day for leaving because there can be delays leaving Sorong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom