Booking Liveaboard Direct vs. Agency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For an 8 day live-aboard in Galapagos, July - Nov will improve chances of good encounters with whale sharks at Wolf and Darwin. Great deals to be had - and there is a push to get all the adults of Galapagos vaccinated by end May this year to kick-start the tourism again. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Dan
For an 8 day live-aboard in Galapagos, July - Nov will improve chances of good encounters with whale sharks at Wolf and Darwin. Great deals to be had - and there is a push to get all the adults of Galapagos vaccinated by end May this year to kick-start the tourism again. Fingers crossed!

Yes, Fingers crossed! I’m booked for 2 back-to-back week trip there from Nov 20 to Dec 4.

I've done it both ways. If I'm booking a simple trip with a Caribbean destination and I'm comfortable making air travel arrangements myself, then I may do it personally.

But...if I'm looking at a far flung destination (so far, the Galapagos) dealing with foreign airlines I'm not familiar with, possibly different requirements (e.g.: inspections, fees, baggage allowances), somewhat complicated flight arrangements with the need to book a hotel for an overnight stay...then I tend toward using a dive travel agency.

They're not all created equal. I've been happy with Blue Water Dive Travel; their agent I use (Tim Yeo) has been the places I want to go. He has first hand experiential knowledge of what the options are and how to discriminate between them. When I need that, I e-mail him.

Thanks for the tip drrich2. I will keep Tim at Blue Water Dive saved for any future trips more "far flung". I agree that most trips we do which are Caribbean, I do not use anyone. I am very comfortable making my own arrangements.

It is really annoying to me that my local dive shop is upcharging more than $200pp for a trip out of Miami. Really? So how are you earning that money? There is virtually nothing you have to do. I wanted to do this particular trip on the week they have chartered but was so irritated with their attitude that I am now booked directly with the liveaboard for a different date.

A good travel agent like Tim Yeo of Bluewater Travel can help us in situation like this:
Have a fully paid trip on Blue Manta that was rescheduled from Nov 2020 to Nov 2021 and hearing the same story- will not know till June if it is still on.

Our trip with the same liveaboard company, White Manta Diving - Home was able to be rescheduled the trip to 2022 without the necessity to fully paid, We still only paid 50% deposit.

The Nov 2021 trip may have to be rescheduled again to 2022.

If you book it on your own, you don’t have the leverage of travel agent that represents many customers under him to negotiate the deals on behalf of his customers (us).

So how are you earning that money?

I don't know specifics with your LDS. From what I've seen and heard from regarding other organized trips, some factors that may 'value add' -

1.) The organizer may have to commit to paying for the spaces, and all too often, some people sign on to come then back out. Depending on the arrangements, an operator could be left 'holding the bag.'

2.) Sometimes organizers negotiate special rates (maybe not in this case) or other benefits, such as hitting a coveted destination.

3.) Organizers often act as ombudsmen between their customers and the service provider. So, if the t.v. doesn't work in your room, or some expected amenity wasn't provided, they complain to the group leader, who's expected to take it up with the service provider. And if your group has a so-called 'Karen,' well...

4.) Sometimes there are organized activities, or at least the hope of more fun traveling with a group some of whom you know.

5.) Some divers new to travel like a personally known leader (i.e.: 'mother hen') to shepherd them through preparations and the trip, and need some 'hand-holding.' Leaders may pay attention to whether everyone's having fun and intervene with someone's looking a little 'puny.'

Whether that's worth $200 extra on the trip you were looking at, I have no idea. I'm just saying there are some hassles and head aches involved in organizing group trips. This issue has come up on the past based on the scenario where an organizer gets a 'free' slot; should he use it for himself, or pay and split the savings with the rest of the group?

Even if we conclude the organizer offers good value-for-cost, you then have to decide if that added value is something you would benefit from.

I don't know specifics with your LDS. From what I've seen and heard from regarding other organized trips, some factors that may 'value add' -

1.) The organizer may have to commit to paying for the spaces, and all too often, some people sign on to come then back out. Depending on the arrangements, an operator could be left 'holding the bag.'

2.) Sometimes organizers negotiate special rates (maybe not in this case) or other benefits, such as hitting a coveted destination.

3.) Organizers often act as ombudsmen between their customers and the service provider. So, if the t.v. doesn't work in your room, or some expected amenity wasn't provided, they complain to the group leader, who's expected to take it up with the service provider. And if your group has a so-called 'Karen,' well...

4.) Sometimes there are organized activities, or at least the hope of more fun traveling with a group some of whom you know.

5.) Some divers new to travel like a personally known leader (i.e.: 'mother hen') to shepherd them through preparations and the trip, and need some 'hand-holding.' Leaders may pay attention to whether everyone's having fun and intervene with someone's looking a little 'puny.'

Whether that's worth $200 extra on the trip you were looking at, I have no idea. I'm just saying there are some hassles and head aches involved in organizing group trips. This issue has come up on the past based on the scenario where an organizer gets a 'free' slot; should he use it for himself, or pay and split the savings with the rest of the group?

Even if we conclude the organizer offers good value-for-cost, you then have to decide if that added value is something you would benefit from.

I agree with your assessment. I guess in the case I am referencing, I did not feel my LDS was offering anything of value to me. Maybe if I was a solo diver it would hold more importance. I do think some trips could be complicated and headaches involved, but I don't see how in the trip I wanted to do with my LDS. Oh wait, they are throwing in a t-shirt. Yes I am being sarcastic.

And bottom line? I was willing to pay the extra $$, but the dive shop was so unresponsive, did not return my calls, one time a guy actually said "gee I dunno" and then didn't offer to find out and call me back. Like I've said, we've spent a ton of money at this shop and I was really ticked off by this point. When the manager called me back, he did nothing to make me feel better about going on their week, only wanted to know "who did I talk to" and kept asking that. Well dude, I talked to several people. You should have a meeting with the staff as a whole and review the concept of good customer service as it was across the board. And maybe, just maybe, you should have checked with the owner and offered to give us a discount for all of this. I was not looking for this, but it would have gone a long way to smoothing things over. We used to have such wonderful customer service, actually spent more money than we normally would have b/c the sales guys were so great lol. But now I don't feel that way. It's a shame and leaves me feeling unappreciated as their customer.

It seems it would be harder for a shop to charge extra than in the past, because the net makes all the information readily available and easier to do yourself. I’m usually surprised when I hear about one that basically adds a surcharge. (Shops usually book far ahead, which can be a disadvantage when there are deals closer to the date that you probably won’t get. Some popular LOBs rarely discount because they are booked for years, and getting on some group trip might be the only way to get on them. Or at least thats the way it used to be...)

I’ve only done trips with 2 different dive shops. Neither charged more than list price for a trip, and took any free spots for themselves or to sell, which seems reasonable to me. They’re a business. They may also get other discounts they will probably keep. One of these shops is awesome about organizing things and taking care of stuff that comes up, definitely earns their cut. The other (only once!) was worse than useless.

Group trips planned by independent folks that share any free spots and discounts are great when you can get involved in those. You get a good deal and typically a great group of people, because the people you don’t want to travel (or dive) with get weeded out from these groups one way or another...

It seems it would be harder for a shop to charge extra than in the past, because the net makes all the information readily available and easier to do yourself. I’m usually surprised when I hear about one that basically adds a surcharge. (Shops usually book far ahead, which can be a disadvantage when there are deals closer to the date that you probably won’t get. Some popular LOBs rarely discount because they are booked for years, and getting on some group trip might be the only way to get on them. Or at least thats the way it used to be...)

I’ve only done trips with 2 different dive shops. Neither charged more than list price for a trip, and took any free spots for themselves or to sell, which seems reasonable to me. They’re a business. They may also get other discounts they will probably keep. One of these shops is awesome about organizing things and taking care of stuff that came up, definitely earned their cut. The other (only once!) was worse than useless.

Group trips planned by independent folks that share any free spots and discounts are great when you can get involved in those. You get a good deal and typically a great group of people, because the people you don’t want to travel with get weeded out from these groups one way or another...

I agree. I have no problem paying a little bit more when the dive shop is working out a fairly complicated trip, and I get they are a business, etc., but I also expect them to be more responsive and helpful.

The irony is that I called a few other dive shops that had charters listed for the same itinerary, just different weeks, and none of them charged more than the list price AND they were very quick to get back to me with information and helpful. Sad to say I'd rather book with them than my own local shop.

Some updates:
#1 went well, Trip Report - Socorro Jan 2021 Diving Trip Report
#2. went well, Trip Report - Belize Feb 2021 Trip Report
# 3 went well. Just got home last night. Carpe Vita Real Time Review: March 7-18, 2021 Trip to Maldives Deep South & Emperor Leo Real Time Review, March 21-28, 2021, The Best of Maldives
#4. is still TBD.
#5. is confirmed, including flight & hotel.
#6. is still a GO, but a buddy from Malaysia dropped out due to his country is still in lockdown situation.
#7. is still up in the air as Indonesia is still closed.
#8. would be a GO. I was there last Dec. and all went well, Trip Report - Diving in Cocos Dec. 2020 Trip Report
#9. is rescheduled to Sep. 2022 since Guadalupe Island is still closed.
#10. is still not confirmed.
#11. is in the same situation as #7.
Another update:

#4 Tiger Beach is set, as shown here: Tiger Shark Expedition with Dolphin Dream October 23-29, 2021

#5 Socorro is done. Final trip report & video will be posted may be next week. Trip Report - Socorro Real Time Review

#6 Malpelo is set to go, including flights & hotels. SB folks who would be going there is now down to just me & @scubadada

#7 Sangalaki has been rescheduled to August 2022. It’s now fully booked.

#8 Cocos is no change. There are 3 spots available. 1 of my buddies is canceling his trip and willing to discount $1000 off if anyone is interested to take his spot.

#9 Guadalupe opens again for 2021. Since #7 is rescheduled to 2022, I now decided to go to Guadalupe in August 11-16, 2021

#10 Galápagos is still TBD. It’ll be more likely in Jan 2022.

#11 Raja Ampat is cancelled since I’ll be there in February 2022 Raja Ampat with Blue Manta, 10-20 Feb, 2022, with 16% off group rate So in November I will be snorkeling with Orca in Norway.

When I started doing liveaboard trips, I found out booking it direct or through agency would yield to the same cost. Then @outofofficebrb mentioned about her agent, Tim Yeo that can work with me to set up a webpage on his agency, Bluewater Travel, for a group trip with group discount like spreading equally the free of charge spot to everyone in the group, and everyone can pay his/her trip via credit card at no additional charge and get additional credit from his/her credit card company in terms of frequent flyer miles and/or free travel insurance.

Then later on I learnt also that some TA who are also SB members, like @dome@DiveAdvice can give additional discount to SB member. He has been in this business for a long time and knows most of the dive operators really really well. I am very very happy with the deals I got from him for the last 4 liveaboard trips (to Cocos, Socorro, Maldives. Malpelo). I tried to book directly and with other TAs, none of them can beat his offers.

I am retired. So I have plenty of vacation time, but limited vacation budget. I need to spend that budget carefully. So, the cost and staying COVID-19 free are the 2 most important goals for me this year if I want to accomplish all of 11 trips I have booked for this year:
1. Socorro in January (with Nautillus Belle Amie, completed)
2. Belize in February (Ramon's Village resort, going there next week)
3. Maldives in March (with Carpe Vita & Emperor Leo)
4. Tiger Beach? (rescheduled from 2020, but still TBD)
5. Socorro in May (with Nautillus Belle Amie - a spot available if you are interested to join)
6. Malpelo in July (with Ferox)
7. Sangalaki in August (with White Manta - a spot available if you are interested to join)
8. Cocos in September (with Argo, rescheduled from 2020)
9. Guadalupe in October/November (with Nautillus Belle Amie)
10. Galapagos in November/December (rescheduled from last year, still TBD)
11. Raja Ampat in December (rescheduled from last year, still TBD)

My wife and I have a trip scheduled to Cocos in September with Argo which was rescheduled from 2020. You mind me asking when in September you will be on the Argo?

Back
Top Bottom