Booking in Puerto e prices... oddities.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I figured the quote would still apply since the OP is also asking for 2 divers. I imagine they are sharing a room.

I’m not sure what the diver to DM/guide ratio is for Asia Divers but we will find out. I have been spoiled by 2 to 1 and 4 to 1 ratios in Indonesia with a few being 6 to 1. I don’t mind larger groups since I’m used to liveaboards with 15-25 at a time. Granted, we hit the water in waves rather than all at once.

I’m a big liveaboard diver and my thing with resorts when I am diving 4-5 dives a day is that I’m usually lazy and tired. Getting up early to go to a shop because it’s not on site is an extra step and “thing” - I hate mornings yet go figure: I love early morning activities like skiing and diving. Finding food between dives, wanting to go back to my room between dives or to rest, and time in general etc is an issue for me. I like easy. Which is probably why I love liveaboards. :D

I will report back!

I definitely agree with your thoughts on a liveaboard. sure is easy to go 15 steps to the dining table, 15 steps to your room, 15 steps to the dive deck and a few steps into the skiff or step off the back of the boat

US$30.00 per dive is expensive and US$12.00 extra for a night dive is robbery!
There are some reputable smaller operators only charging $20 - $25 per dive.
If the flight arrives in the morning, the total cost to PG by using public transport is never more than $20.00. A walk in the park!
If the flight arrives in the afternoon or at night, overnight in Manila + transfer would never cost anywhere near US$100.00.

US$30.00 per dive is expensive and US$12.00 extra for a night dive is robbery!
There are some reputable smaller operators only charging $20 - $25 per dive.
If the flight arrives in the morning, the total cost to PG by using public transport is never more than $20.00. A walk in the park!
If the flight arrives in the afternoon or at night, overnight in Manila + transfer would never cost anywhere near US$100.00.

You would scoff and fall out of your chair if I told you how much Atlantis wanted when we got a quote from them! (>50% more than what I am paying at Asia/El Galleon.

I know that taking public transport and the ferry to PG is extremely inexpensive but I am looking for the easiest, no-brainer, most direct option door to door, that is vetted when my flight lands with our group and none of us want to spend a night in Manila. It is something I am comfortable paying and can afford. We are also traveling as a group so the cost is amortized.

Yes, I may be able to save a couple bucks over the course of 20-25 dives based on your information which adds up but I also find hassle in going off property and going to and from. This is easy - I find significant utility with the arrangement we've made. We can walk out of our rooms and not go far, have a great pier to access boats and not have to wade out in the water or gunk in low tide, dive, return, eat at a stone's throw's distance, and can waddle to our room for a change, gear, rest, etc. in no time flat. That is worth a lot to me and I am fine paying "robbery" prices for this convenience because in the grand scheme of things it isn't that significant to me and is value I am willing to pay for. :)

Thank you.

I will pay to use the dive in the resort, I don't like much looking around, it's my first time in PG, if it was 3 times the normal price, I would have looked elsewhere of course, but it looks a middle price, acceptable considering their reputation and I will have to manage with a single structure (their pier and boat access is awesome).

I know how much I could save by using the public transportation, but I'm travelling with my gf and the safety and comfort is much more important than money (I don't want to have issue with unknown people, scammers, get tickets and such, again it's my first time in Manila and PG, maybe next time I'll be more comfortable). I would have opted for a private plane from the Manila port, but talking to them it seems there could be an issue with our luggage weight (above 10Kg.), so I will opt for a more traditional van+boat.

Thank you.

I will pay to use the dive in the resort, I don't like much looking around, it's my first time in PG, if it was 3 times the normal price, I would have looked elsewhere of course, but it looks a middle price, acceptable considering their reputation and I will have to manage with a single structure.

I know how much I could save by using the public transportation, but I'm travelling with my gf and the safety and comfort is much more important than money (I don't want to have issue with unknown people, scammers, get tickets and such, again it's my first time in Manila and PG, maybe next time I'll be more comfortable). I would have opted for a private plane from the Manila port, but talking to them it seems there could be an issue with our luggage weight (above 10Kg.), so I will opt for a more traditional van+boat.

Sounds like we have similar thinking. :)

We all have different criteria on everything.
I can still remember the first time I went to PG well before the appearance of internet. LP was the only source that I could safely rely upon. Philippines has been pretty good to me since I first went there back in 1993. But I do hate all those scumbags that I have to deal with at the Immigration occasionally!! You gave them a badge and they believe they are above everything!!!!!
I would use private transfer if there is a group of us otherwise it will be public and that apply to anywhere that I had been.

I can guess which operator is charging an arm and leg for that all inclusive package. The extra is probably for dipping your legs into that horrible Sabang water. When the tide is low you would have to walk at least 20-30m out to board the speed boat. Take a look around to see what kind of water being discharged into Sabang Bay!!!

Last edited:
We all have different criteria on everything.
I can still remember the first time I went to PG well before the appearance of internet. LP was the only source that I could safely rely upon. Philippines has been pretty good to me since I first went there back in 1993. But I do hate all those scumbags that I have to deal with at the Immigration occasionally!! You gave them a badge and they believe they are above everything!!!!!
I would use private transfer if there is a group of us otherwise it will be public and that apply to anywhere that I had been.

Has it changed much in the last 25 years? :) Anything better or worse?

Politically? NO.
Economically? NO. There is always a long queue outside USA Embassy every week day.

Nothing has changed since Marcos was kicked out and nothing will in a foreseeable future for this poor country.
Rich is getting richer and the poor getting poorer(same in HK!!!).

You would scoff and fall out of your chair if I told you how much Atlantis wanted when we got a quote from them! (>50% more than what I am paying at Asia/El Galleon.

Been there and done that Asia Divers 3 v Atlantis 1

One reason I like CBR over at Anilao, I get my own boat, my own guide, I can dive when I want to and as long as I want to :D

Back
Top Bottom