Booking a return flight same day as Liveaboard disembark?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
I plan to book flight tickets over the weekend for my Maldives trip late November. I will already be staying land based resort for a week before the LB so I am just wondering what value-add staying an extra day and overnight hotel cost will bring. With my flight at 1515hrs I think that should cover the 18hr no-fly period as well. The LBs all have a disembark time of 8am looks like it should be a smooth transfer to the airport right?

Just checking as this is my first trip the Maldives…

After a LOB we usually like staying a few days on land if we haven't seen a place, to relax, etc. But it's not like getting there - it's unlikely the LOB is going to make you miss your flight. And I'm not sure crashing a night at a hotel by the airport would add much of interest to your trip.

We actually spent a good part of our arrival day hanging out at the pool at the (overpriced) Hulhule. I don't recall if we paid a day thing to do that, or they let us because we were checking in much later. Or what the circumstances were.

Of course you may book a flight for the same day : the day before, you will only make 2 dives, in order to have +/- 24h before flight... and the boat will be back near Male end of the afternoon, last night in the harbour where all the liveaboard stay.
Cool. That’s what I will do then. Just wanted to be sure since I dont know the LOB scene at Maldives, but the information you posted is doubly reassuring.
I am doing all the “relaxing” in the week before the LOB at a more remote atoll so only challenge is how to spend the 3-4hrs before 1230pm Airport arrival.
Any suggestions? If the coffee shops and restaurants at MLE airport are not too exorbitant then that’s one option - just head straight from LOB to Airport and browse the duty free stuff. But if not the airport - What other alternatives do you folks recommend? Do airports allow arrivals 7-8 hrs before the flight? Or do they stop you to prevent overcrowding? I’ve always been a “Just-In-Time” traveller guy so not sure…

I am looking at things to do in Male the day before our liveaboard and Expedia and TripAdvisor have some cheap walking tours listed. Like this 2 hour walking tour for $35 CDN. They will store your luggage at an extra cost if needed. There are 3 and 4 hour tours and other types as well. You could walk it yourself or choose some points of interest:

Expedia 2 Hour Walking Tour in Male

TripAdvisor has some things to do and lists some reasonable restaurants around Male:

Trip Advisor Things to Do in Maldives

Hello,
I plan to book flight tickets over the weekend for my Maldives trip late November. I will already be staying land based resort for a week before the LB so I am just wondering what value-add staying an extra day and overnight hotel cost will bring. With my flight at 1515hrs I think that should cover the 18hr no-fly period as well. The LBs all have a disembark time of 8am looks like it should be a smooth transfer to the airport right?

I am about to book flights for a liveaboard trip after not having been in the water since before the pandemic. Thanks for making me think of this as we plan.

I am about to book flights for a liveaboard trip after not having been in the water since before the pandemic. Thanks for making me think of this as we plan.
Then book your LOB first before you book the flight! I had a narrow escape because I postponed/cancelled purchasing non-refundable flight tickets at the payment screen after spending hours choosing a flight, and eventually booked an LOB scheduled to depart one day later than originally planned.

Then book your LOB first before you book the flight! I had a narrow escape because I postponed/cancelled purchasing non-refundable flight tickets at the payment screen after spending hours choosing a flight, and eventually booked an LOB scheduled one day later than originally planned.
Thanks... I have actually had the LOB booked for months now. Keep hoping for better pricing on flights before pulling the trigger but I am probably hoping in vain considering OPEC's recent decision to cut production.

Hello,

No problem. I’ve done this same day disembarking & flying home 3 times.

Back
Top Bottom