Booked my flight (more questions)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffhamm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
As I said in the title, I booked my flight, now I have to book everything else!!

Is Either Tropic air or Maya air a better choice for the commute from Belize City? Should I book in advance? Should I consider the water taxi for at least one leg of the trip (Coming or going)

I noticed neither of these airlines are currently offering flights to Flores. I would have liked to visit Tikal. Would this be out of the question for a day trip?

I am going to start searching for lodging today or tomorrow.

Also trying to plan land and dive trips. Any group better than the others for land trips?

I will be there the last couple of weeks of May.

Thanks for all your help

Jeff

Tropic and Maya are pretty much the same...flip a coin. They both fly the Cessna Caravan as well as a few smaller Embraer (SP) planes and both have a good safety record. Many of the pilots will be Canadians or Americans down there accumulating hours. Tropic is the larger of the two operations and does offer more flights. You can book in advance and there are some travel consolidators that offer a slight discount (I believe only on Maya?) but do allow for sufficient time to change planes at Phillip Goldson International. Arriving you will have to collect bags, go through immigration and customs and then, after checking your bags with either Tropic or Maya, go through a fairly slow security process. Allow at least one hour...perhaps a bit more.

Guatemalan regulations have recently changed so neither airline goes into Flores and, from what I have read, a road trip can be risky in terms of personal security. While Tikal is considered the best of the Mayan ruins the ones in Belize are also impressive and worthwhile and are close to Belize City.

Taking a water taxi really depends on what else you have planned and your group size. Flights to and from the International Airport are the most expensive (compared to the municipal airport) but you then have to factor in the taxi cost as there is a flat charge of $25.00 U.S. to go from the International into Belize City where the water taxi docks. That cost would eat up any savings for one or two people...more than that, it would be slightly cheaper but do remember it is a 45 minute boat ride to Caye Caulker and about double that to Ambergris Caye. The scenery from the air is worth the difference in my opinion but I have done the water taxi without any complaint. Beyond the cost it depends on what else you are planning. Certainly if you are planning any river tubing, zip lining, etc. outside of Belize City then take the water taxi or fly to the municipal airport and grab meet your tour operator in the city. I can't give advice as to who to use as friends drove us around privately. I have seen the operation "SEArious Adventures" in San Pedro and they do appear to be professional with nice boats. For diving on Ambergris Caye the names Pro-Tech (I have used and liked), Eco-Logic, AquaDives and Chuck and Robbies are frequently commended on this board.

Lodging options are varied in quality and price and it all depends on how much you want to pay and what level of comfort you are seeking. You are free to give me a price range and I would suggest some. In May, things should be easing off in terms of tourist traffic, so you should be in a position to book one spot and then (make sure you know and understand the cancellation policy) move if you see greener pastures.

Enjoy the trip and the diving.

Ross

Just a couple of additions to Ross' post. It is only Maya who usually offer a cash discount, but Tropic offer a better service and really do go the extra mile. I recently returned from the US, and due to delays didn't land at the international airport until after 7pm (well after dark). I assumed I would be spending the night somewhere on the mainland. But when I cleared formalities I was agreeably surprised to find that Tropic were still scheduling flights to San Pedro, and everyone who arrived late hoping to get to SP made it. My plane landed in SP after 8pm. I'm prepared to pay a bit more when that's the sort of service I get.

I wouldn't even consider the water taxi. You'll be tired, you'll have baggage, and all you'll want is to get to your room and unwind. You won't want another three or more hours travelling when you could be in SP within 20 minutes by air. For the flight try to sit in a window seat, preferably on the right, and have a compact camera with you. You'll use it.

I've been past the Tikal turnoff by road (haven't actually been there) several times and although I've heard suggestions of problems it all looked very peaceful to me. It is quite a busy road (as far as the turning for Tikal) and there isn't much scope for bandits etc. Some other roads, such as the one to Caracol, could be much more risky.

You'll have to search hard to find a poor tour operator here and there are many Ross hasn't mentioned. If you look at Belize Vacations, Maps, Real Estate, Resorts, News, Hotels, Travels, Flights, Weather, Tours you'll find sections on diving, land tours, accommodation, and lots besides. And if you go to the bottom and click on "messages" you'll enter into the cyber world inhabited by many AC residents and wannabes.

The tour operators you finally select may well be influenced by where you decide to stay. Just don't accept "advice" given to you by your hotel as it's likely to be heavily influenced by the commission the operator concerned has agreed to pay them. Far better to form your own shortlist from the info available to you here and on other sites such as Undercurrent, then visit your shortlist and decide which comes closest to your personal preferences. Don't pay in advance, as with too many operators that money won't be refunded if for some reason you end up not making the trip. In May there's no need to anyway - everyone will have capacity.

You'll probably get better rates and you'll certainly be more warmly received if you can pay in cash or travellers' cheques. Bring Visa/Master for emergencies. Amex isn't widely accepted.

I would take the water taxi once. It is an experience, we did it going and flew back into the interior for a stay in the mountains (hills actually). However we stayed one night in Belize City and left the next day around mid day rather than try and do it all at once. Left enough time to poke around Belize City for a couple of hours. Gets you to Ambergrise after a long flight. From Vancouver the flight can be a long one so we did not want to fly to Ambergrise right away and while I don't recommend staying in Belize City for long it is worth spending at least some time to see.

Have not been to Tikal, but spent a few days nearby in Belize - San Ignatio - cayo district. Pretty country, hiking, horseback riding, ruins - no diving however. We rented a car from there drove down Hummingbird Highway to Placencia, stayed a few days and then back to the airport for home. Different diving from Placencia as it is a long boat ride out to the reef. Lots of choices.

And if you are looking for great handicrafts and can swing it, the Hattieville Prison outside of Belize City has a gift shop with a large selection of stuff made by the convicts. They are very talented and skilled and each one is signed with the prisoner's inmate number.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom