Book suggestions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Well, here I am, in the cold north east. (Yes, I know there are colder places.) Spring time is teasing us, and them darn southerners are flauting their already warm weather. So, here I am, dreaming about diving. How do I releave myself of the growing cabin fever I am feeling? Well, scubaboard is one way. Cheesey hollywood movies is another. There is a terrible lack of oceanic documentaries at the local video store. So, the other option is reading. I have devoured a few good books. Shadow Divers, and Neutral Boyancy were two. Most books I have noticed, revolve around tragedy though. While it is important to learn about previous disasters, it isn't something I want to read for fun.

So, with all that blathering out of the way, my question to you guys, what are some books you have read and enjoyed? Maybe include a little description, and/or why you liked it.

Thanks in advance,

Fred

The Last Dive is an unreal book i been reading it i can not put it down its the best book in the world man trust me pick it up. You wont be able to put it down you learn lots about deep diving 2

Replying to your own post, is rather like talking to yourself, but here I go anyways. After posting my question, I noticed at the bottom of the page was listed similar threads. While most the books were more of "how to" I came across one that had several great book suggestions. Me being one with much too much time on my hands, I decided to look them all up on Barnes and Noble's web site, and have come up with this list.

Beyond the Deep: The Deadly Descent into the World's Most Treacherous Cave
Written by: William Stone, Monte Paulsen, Barbara am Ende

The Cave beneath the Sea: Paleolithic Images at Cosquer
Written by: Jean Clottes, Jean Courtin, Marilyn Garner (Translator)

The Cave Divers
Written by: Robert Forrest Burgess, Robert F. Burgess

Caverns Measureless to Man
Written by: Sheck Exley

Darkness Beckons: The History and Development of Cave Diving
Written by: Martyn Farr, Foreword by Bill Stone

Deep Blue: Stories of Shipwrecks, Sunken Treasure and Survival
Written by: Clint Willis (Editor), Nate Hardcastle (Editor)

Deep Descent: Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria
Written by: Kevin F. McMurray

Dead in the Water
Written by: Margaret Hoffman

Down to the Sea in Ships
Written by: Philemon Sturges, Giles Laroche (Illustrator)

Eternal Darkness: A Personal History of Deep-Sea Exploration
Written by: Robert D. Ballard, Will Hively

Fatal Depth: Deep Sea Diving, China Fever, and the Wreck of the Andrea Doria
Written by: Joe Haberstroh

The Helldivers' Rodeo
Written by: Humberto Fontova

In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex
Written by: Nathaniel Philbrick

Last Dive: A Father and Son's Fatal Descent into the Ocean's Depths
Written by: Bernie Chowdhury

The Lost Ships of Robert Ballard: An Unforgettable Underwater Tour by the World's Leading Deep-Sea Explorer
Written by: Robert D. Ballard, Rick Archbold, Rich Archbold, Ken Marschall (Illustrator)

Neutral Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World
Written by: Tim Ecott

On the Bottom: The Raising of the U.S. Navy Submarine S-51 told by the Man Who Directed the Feat that Experts all Pronounced Impossible.
Written by: Edward Ellsberg, Edward L. Beach (Introduction)

Rapture of the Deep: And Other Dive Stories You Probably Shouldn't Know
Written by: Michael Zinsley

Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
Written by: Robert Kurson

The Silent World (National Geographic Adventure Classics)
Written by: Jacques-Yves Cousteau, Frederic Dumas, Anthony Brandt (Introduction)

Stars beneath the Sea: The Pioneers of Diving
Written by: Trevor Norton

Submerged
Written by: Daniel Lenihan

The Terrible Hours: The Man Behind the Greatest Submarine Rescue in History
Written by: Peter Maas

That Others May Live
Written by: Jack Brehm, Pete Nelson

Yucatan Deep
Written by: Thomas Morrisey

Twenty five books, yeah, I just counted them. A heck of a lot more than I expected. Now, I am not promising that these all are directly diving related. But, I read the reviews for most of them, and they all seem to have at least some bearing on diving in one way or another. As for me, I have read some of them, many of the rest are going on my "need to read" list. Hope some of you find this list helpful. If there are any other books I missed, please feel free to post them.

My favorite top five diving related books.

1.Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
Written by: Robert Kurson
2.Caverns Measureless to Man
Written by: Sheck Exley
3.Deep Descent: Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria
Written by: Kevin F. McMurray
4.Last Dive: A Father and Son's Fatal Descent into the Ocean's Depths
Written by: Bernie Chowdhury
5.The Silent World (National Geographic Adventure Classics)
Written by: Jacques-Yves Cousteau, Frederic Dumas

If you're not specifically looking for dive-related books & just want something entertaining I recommend anything by Carl Hiaasen or Tim Dorsey. Both are sort of mystery suspense fiction but with alot of humor. Quirky characters in bizarre situations. Other good fiction writers:

James Lee Burke
Navada Barr
Greg Iles

I'd also recommend Expedition Wydah, about the search for (and discovery of) the wreckage of a pirate treasure ship off Cape Cod.

Funny you should mention that one Mike. I was rumaging around my box of old dive stuff, from '99 when I first started, and sure enough, that book was there. It was a great book, especially living here in MA.

As for your suggestions scubachick, I am adding them to my "other list", man can't live on diving books alone. And, did you steal my "interests?" I would swear you have the same as mine, and possible even in the same order. I am calling my lawyer!

Actually, I take that back, after reviewing my profile, I seem to have neglected to add my cycling and reading in the interests section (and that you joined a year before me). You lucked out this time. But I am keeping my eyes on you now.

Back
Top Bottom