Bonne Terre, how does it work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aigtbootbp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be diving Bonne Terre this sunday (I will be with the Y-kiki group if anyone is wondering). I have been told to be there at 8:30. I know there is a safety briefing/movie but the rest is bit cloudy to me.
When does the diving start, how long is the surface interval and about when will the 2nd dive end? Not that I want to hurry through it but I unfortunately have things to do that evening and need to let folk know when I expect to be home.
Oh, I live about 45 minutes away so this dive won't eat up my entire day.
Thanks!
Gary

Ok, in case anyone else is interested....
I was told to be there at 8:30 for the safety briefing. It took about an 1/2 hour. Then we had another 1/2 hour to suit up and get ready. we met at the mule shack and walked down. It wasn't a bad walk, it was actually rather interesting. Arriving at the dock we finished prepping. This including zipping up wet suits, attaching tanks to BCs and finally putting it all on. Finally we were in the water around 10:30. Weight checks then down to the bottom to do a mask clearing and air sharing drills. Finally off to see the sights. I will skip the details of the dive itself but I will say it was interesting.
Personal observation, cold water diving sucks. Bouyanacy issues are magnified wearing a 7mm farmer john w/jacket not to mention the confined/restricted feel of all that neoprene around you. I would much rather be diving Cozumel.
Anyway, it broke down like this.
arrive 8:30, safety briefing and prep.
Down the steps to the dock at 9:30.
Finally in the water around 10:30
Back out 46 minutes later.
Next dive was scheduled at 2:00 pm.
Meet at the shack at 1:30, walk back down and get in the water right around 2:00pm.
Back out of the water about 2:40, get dressed, get log book signed off and heading back home by a little after 4pm.
Just wanted to let everyone know how much time to allow for all this, I am sure everyone experience will vary.
It was a very unique dive and I am glad I did it. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as the other folk but hey, it just isn't the type of diving for me, nothing against the dive itself.

Aigtbootbp,
What did you do during the two hour surface interval? :popcorn:

Took a nap in my car, chatted with the other divers, read a magazine in the divers lounge....

Hmmmm. I was hoping they would include a walking tour or maybe a boat tour in the price of admission to help pass the surface interval. :(

what did you pay for your two dive's?

I dont recall the exact amount. I think it was around $150. It was cool don't get me wrong, and I will go back at some point. I can spend $175 for a full day (4 dives) of diving authentic wrecks on Lake Michigan, and love every minute of it! I feel being a diver from MO that it's a "must dive" destination. Everywhere you go people ask where are you from? Followed by "have you been to that mine?" BTM?...Yes I have!

I agree with time frames stated above. Surface interval... Not much to do - just rest. As far as a "boat tour"is concerned.... trust me, if you are diving wet, all you will think about when you get out of that water is how to get topside as quickly as you can and warm up. Regarding diving the mine itself, it is hard to truly appreciate what it has to offer until you get to the later trails. They utilize the trail system and you will have to do them in order 1 through - don't remember. The highest I ve done is 16. Another important aspect of diving there: To truly enjoy it - you must dive dry. I have done it wet the first few times and for me it was too cold. It took away from the experience. Some say that 59F is not cold but for me 50 minutes in that water did get chilly not to mention, putting that soaking wet suit on for the second dive... Once I switched to a dry suit, diving there became a totally different experience. Don't get me wrong, you will still have fun if you dive wet. All I am saying is that you can see and experience more if you are not cold. Happy diving:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom