Bonne Terre...a MUST SEE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midwest

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, a buddy and I recently visited the mine for a 3 day trip (dove Friday and Sunday, took Saturday off to see other areas). Our experience was great and complaint-free.

Being new to the diving community, I don't have anything to compare to BT, however, I'm already planning another visit...that being said, everything surrounding BT Mine impressed me.

The mine has an interesting history for the area. To imagine what lead miners accomplished with hand tools and carts, compared to today's functional mining capacity, is quite staggering.

I think it should be noted, BTM is offering a service to divers to 1. keep their business doors open and 2. offer a safe dive experience to open water divers. Their schedule, though may seem regimented to some (military SMs will NOT say it's regimented), is implemented for a collection of reasons with the most important being safety! I won't cover the sign-up/check-in process, air or equipment...you've likely read that in other posts if researching the Mine. I will cover what was unique to my/our experience. The dive experience follows:

In our group, someone lost a weight pouch on first splash. The lead diver had us stand by while he retrieved the customers weight. The man descended 100+ feet, with a light in his hand and retrieved a customers weight pouch. He could have said "Here, dive with this rock in your hand for the next 40 mins", but he didn't...he solved the problem. Another in our group had a horrible mask flooding issue. The diver couldn't descend, or snorkel for that matter. One of the guides worked with him on the surface, solved the problem, and we all continued as though nothing happened. On the second dive another person lost a pouch. The lead diver again descended to retrieve the weight pouch. I know he went deep because he was down there for probably 20 mins as we swam to keep active. There were other little diver (customer) problems, those mentioned I was impressed with...the staff was professional and HELPFUL!

Water temperature. I've read several comments on water temperature. My computer indicated 54 degrees, another diver I was with said his indicated 58 degrees. Was the water cold? Yes. If you're properly protected from the water, as I was, your experience will improve. I dive a dive skin, 7 mil wet suit, and a hooded vest/torso hood with 5 mil gloves. For those who dive similar gear, you know how quickly you heat up. Anyhow, once dressed I'm in the water quick and did not get even close to cold while in the water. Conversely, my buddy dove a 7 mil and was cold the entire time he was in the water...was it a fit issue? Perhaps not enough layers? I don't have the dive experience to say, however, my buddy never hesitated to splash on the subsequent dives.

Steps down to the dock. Yea, the walk down and up 60+ steps with gear is a stinker. They have tanks on the dock so, to that, I was grateful I didn't have to pack an additional 30+ pounds. Despite multiple dives on the same day, in addition to being there for 3 days, I had to pack my gear down and up once...and that is not a complaint. They had a staging area if I wanted to leave my gear overnight, which I opted for.

Lighting. Could they use more? Probably, yes. It is an underground mine so all lighting is electrical (no sunlight shinning through). Is this a complaint? No.

Lighting. I never once felt I couldn't see where I was going.

Air tanks. They have PLENTY and should you need a refill, they'll provide a full tank or refill within minutes. They have DIN and yoke.

Walk-through and boat tour. If I were just visiting the mine, I think $29 is a little pricey. Since I was diving, knowing everything about the area I could, is VERY important to me so, $29 was worth the expense. Would I take my family there for a walk-through and boat tour despite the expense....uhm, yes, I probably would...it's that interesting.

Lodging. Stayed at the Super 8...accommodations were great.

Local area. The town has a small collection of stores and restaurants. Hub's Pub offered friendly folks and a pleasant dining experience. If you have time, St Louis is about an hour north. Just a suggestion should you find time - try the Krispy Kreme cheeseburger, a local creation, completely unhealthy, but oh so tasty...you could run the BTM steps a few times the next day to negate the guilt.

Staff. I'm just going to say THANK YOU and hope to see you again soon.

Doug (the owner). My experience and conversations with him, which totaled many, were always professional and informative.

Complaints. I don't have a single one...although I should probably come up with something. I arrived with all personal gear so I didn't have to loan or rent anything. I communicated I had a DIN reg, was told that shouldn't be a problem. Was it a problem? No, they always were able to outfit my with a DIN tank. Although, my next trip I will bring my DIN-Yoke adaptor as they have significantly more yoke-equipped tanks.

Regards.

I also just did a 2 day 4 dive trip there last weekend, and must say it was a very enjoyable experience. We had a diver lose a fin on the first and dives and the staff were able to retrieve it both times. We also had a diver with us that could not hear without the use of hearing aids which he was unable to wear into the mine. He also had limited vision. Gary was our guide on all 4 dives and did a wonderful job of communicating with him. We stayed in the Depot, which was very nice and clean, but next time will probably stay at the Super 8 to save a little money. I did realize how out of shape I am in on the final trip up out of the mine carrying all my wet gear back up. You can rent weights from them so that you won't have to carry out. It is a little pricey at $30 dollars for the weekend but cold water diving usually requires a lot of weight to have to carry down and up.

All of the staff was wonderful and took every opportunity to make sure everyone was safe. I look forward to my next trip when I can do a few more of the trails. Every dive seemed to be a little better.

Great that you had such a positive experience at BTM. I don't think anyone had a complaint about the dive staff, they are just awesome people from my personal experience. As for dive rules and business practices, people have variety of opinions but that should not reflect on the folks that you dive with when visiting. The higher the trail you do, the more personal you get with the staff (as you dive in much smaller group) and their helpful attitude goes way beyond retrieving a piece of lost gear or solving equipment malfunction. It is pricy, the hike with the gear on the way up is unforgettable but it is a unique Midwest experience for any certified diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom