Bonica Snappy XP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking at picking up a couple in the next month or two. When I do I will put 'em though the paces and write a full report. The camera litterally became available this month I believe so there is likely nobody who will be able to give you a report with actual usage. Bonica is tweaking their strobe to have an auto shut off sensor apparently, the rep at the show said the new one should be available around the first of the year.

I saw them at DEMA and am looking at them for rentals on my boat.

Here's the basic info.

3 megapixel camera, no optical zoom, 3X digital zoom. 30 frame per second video. Supposedly interpolates to 8 megapixel. It'll handle a 1 gig SD card on top of the built in memory. Comes with a silicone skin and is rated waterproof to 3 feet. MSRP is 199. With 180' rated housing MSRP is $349. With Strobe, tray, handle and extension arms, and case MSRP is $599.

The housing is available with "designer" colors. These are basically plates you can swap out with a small screwdriver. It's basically a little appearance option, but might come in handy for families with more than one camera so everyone knows who's camera is coming out of the bucket.

The thing that sets it aside from any other camera on the market from what I can see is the silicone skin. If your housing leaks, the camera is still likely to be just fine.

I took a look at it and was very interested. It's a basic cheap digital camera, but the silicone skin will allow it to be around the water. Unlike a lot of the cheapo cameras it does appear fully functional - adjustable ISO, white balance, f-stops, speeds, etc. All functions are available when in the skin or deep water housing.

Bonica has optional closeup lenses that'll allow this thing to focus down to something less than two inches or so if I recall correctly.

I wish it had an optical zoom, but it's got a ton of functionality for a pre-packaged underwater unit in it's price point. You could maybe come up with a package of your own using name brand equipment if you take the time to shop and price compare online.

I've had it in my hands at the show, but beyond that I really know nothing about the picture quality thus far.

Hopefully someone else may have some more info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom