Boneville Sea Base

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSky

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Here is a link to some photos I took at a place called Sea Base in the middle of Utah's Desert! Visibility has improved Immensely in the last month.

Sea Base Photos

I've read about that place and always wondered how the viz was. Thanks for the link.

I was in the area in August '02 and decided to do a dive there. At the time, it made my normal PNW lake and ocean diving look like some kind of tropical paradise. The vis was so bad that the only way I knew there was an abundance of fish was because they would occasionally bump into me-- I certainly couldn't see them. Searching for Nurse sharks by feel is certainly not my idea of a good time. I don't care how docile they are!

If I find myself in the area again I would certainly visit the place again if the vis was as good as your shots-- they sure have an abundance of interesting things crammed into a relatively small place. But, if it's like it was last time, I'd rather go for a swim in the Great Salt Lake.

With a name like "Crab" I would think you wouldn't mind Crawling around on the bottom? Just Kidding.

The owners of Sea Base have been working really hard at finding a natural solution to the Vis. problem you speak of. They have made quite a bit of progress. the Winter months are always better than the Summer months, due to colder water. If you find yourself in the area again drop by.

I had a great time in Utah. I went to Seabase and Homestead Crater. At Seabase the vis was terrible. 2 inches. The deep hole they have had about 2 feet at best. Great people though.

At the crater the water was hot and I mean hot. When I was there they were holding an open water class. Personally to small of a place to hold a class. The people were also nice there.

On occasion we are gifted with exceptional water clarity out at Seabase. Right now is one of those times. Sunday (Jan 25th) I was out at Seabase, visibility was over 15 feet. Snorkeling at the surface the 3 nurse sharks were clearly visible down at the fish feeding platform in white rocks. Water temps in white rocks was 68 degrees.

If you are out in Utah and have never dove Seabase during good visibility times, I would highly suggest making a trip out there. It’s worth it! Don’t wait though, there is no telling how long the good visibility will last.

-Jordy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom