Bonaire!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Markers tend to be located in the 20 to 30 ft range just short of the drop-off. But they are missing at many sites. If you surface swim in and out, it is no problem but you will miss the things in the shallow sand flats. I carry an underwater marker (float on a 15' yellow plastic ribbon) which I place at the edge of the drop-off. Follow a compass heading out and reciprocal back in after you retrieve the marker.

I love the idea of the float. I'll have to try that next trip.

Lisa

Markers tend to be located in the 20 to 30 ft range just short of the drop-off. But they are missing at many sites. If you surface swim in and out, it is no problem but you will miss the things in the shallow sand flats. I carry an underwater marker (float on a 15' yellow plastic ribbon) which I place at the edge of the drop-off. Follow a compass heading out and reciprocal back in after you retrieve the marker. Or you can try to identify a unique looking feature (sponge) but they often have cousins.

Good call with the marker, I'll have to find something to use...Too bad we can't take allll our dive gear with us, that would include our dive float...

Sinistar... GREAT VIDEO!! Thanks for sharing. Leaving in 5 weeks for our 4th trip back and can't wait

Hello everyone!
T-minus 3 weeks until a long awaited Bonaire vacation for me and my husband....Going to be there a week (shore diving) and it's been a while since we moved from Hawaii to a landlocked state and no diving since :(
Trying to plan based on the info I've found online, I've eliminated most of the dive sites that are described as more advanced and I'm still left with more sites than we can fit into a modest week's diving! (what a terrible problem:p)
Anyway, my questions are:
What would be a go to easy dive site for getting the feet wet again?
What are your top 5 truly must see sites!? I'll take a tally...
I'll also take restaurant recommendations :D

Allison

Allison...see you there. I am going with a small group of divers from Ottawa, Canada in two weeks and for two weeks...:D
arriving on Feb 11 and departing on 26th. May run into you either at dive sites or Carnival. We are renting a villa 5 mins away from Kralendjik for our stay. Cheers

A great first dive is Oil Slick Leap. You don't have to walk in, just gear up and jump in or climb down a very nice ladder. To exit just come back up the ladder. Since there are two of you, one can help hold cameras, gear etc. The "leap" will probably seem higher than it is. To see someone doing a entry - I've include a link at the bottom with times for various scenes.

As already mentioned, the old Witches Hut (now Weber's Joy) is a great dive and quite easy entry. I had done this on a previous trip and enjoyed it as much the second time around.

If you can, do Invisibles and make it out to the second reef. There are so many interesting things on that dive. You will see garden eels on the way out. A good chance of seeing eagle rays on the way out. There always seems to be a mini-bait ball with bigger fish always around. We found a frog fish on that dive. I could literally do that dive every day and be happy. Shore entry is pretty decent and you can park very, very close.

If you are comfortable with a bit bumpy (but very quick) ride, drive over to the wildside for a few dives. In just one dive, I stopped counting turtles after 15! Two divers saw dolphins, yeah pretty awesome.

Our trip video from February 2011 (Should Be IPad / iOS friendly)
http://www.amazonbeach.com/films/samples/Bonaire2011_001_H264_1024x576_2997fps_4Mbps.mp4

Time 11:00 - Oil slick leap scene starts at time 11:00 with jump in about 30 seconds later. You will see the ladder, someone exiting and some entering.

Time 12:50 - A Frog Fish extending its lure! This was actually at Invisibles but I cut it this way to be different.

Time 19:00 - The ever present mini-bait ball and bigger critters at Invisibles.

Time 20:10 - See what its like to ride out and dive the Wildside!

Finally was able to watch your video...awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Allison...see you there. I am going with a small group of divers from Ottawa, Canada in two weeks and for two weeks...:D
arriving on Feb 11 and departing on 26th. May run into you either at dive sites or Carnival. We are renting a villa 5 mins away from Kralendjik for our stay. Cheers

Fantastic! Nice long trip, is this your first to Bonaire? We are due to arrive the afternoon of the 15th and are also staying close to Kralendjik, near Sand Dollar. It would be fun to run into fellow scubaboarders...

"Carnival"?

Keep an eye out for us! And my bright white fins! There usually aren't that many in the same spot :)

Attachments

• PICT0504.jpg
    PICT0504.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 44
  • PICT0764.jpg
    PICT0764.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 44
Bonaire Carnival...Saturday 18 Feb on the main drag in Kralendjik. It is my first time there but my GF was there two years ago and some folks in my group will be there for at least their third time. White fins...I'll keep an eye out for them.

Must dive: The double reef area sites (The Lake, Angel City, Alice, Hilma); both Slaves (surf permitting); Karpata (but this site is often crowded and traffic pattern is weird, one way); Nukove in the North (the largest corals are there but you need a 4WD). The area from the Andreas, Oil Slick to 1000 Steps etc is also pretty interesting. Pay attention to the shallow areas before the drop-off, there's plenty to look for there (large schools of grants and snappers, turtles, octopus, squid etc).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom