Bonaire with my Sony RX100 - June 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James R

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
All taken with Sony RX100 in Nauticam housing, two Inon Z-240 strobes, and either Inon UWL-H100 w/Dome or one or two UCL-165 macro lenses stacked.

I had a hard time getting the RX100 to focus with the two UCL-165 lenses stacked some of the time. Moving my focus light closer definitely helped, and using L&M Photo 800 was even better than mine - I guess I may need to get one of those now.

Anyway, I am pretty happy with the results for the first go with this camera.

Here's the link to the full album: Bonaire Diving 2013. If I get some time this week, I may try to upload a few more to the album.

Nightsea fun - Using one L&M Nightsea light and yellow filter.

DSC00876 by JamesR_307, on Flickr

Seahorse

DSC00768 by JamesR_307, on Flickr

Juvenile Drum

DSC01057 by JamesR_307, on Flickr

Secretary Blenny - Bonaire 2013 by JamesR_307, on Flickr

Reef scene - Bonaire 2013 by JamesR_307, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Best,

wow, some very breathtaking pics. MY favorites have to be the reef scene as well as black drum.

Great shots indeed! Love the drum and the reefscene, they are the best pics imho. The drum is so sharp and clear, it seems to float in thin air! Love the sense of drama and grandness in the reef scene pic.

thanks for the nice comments :)

Close focus Wide angle with that lens is simply fabulous
For Macro I think you need to revert to manual focus with the peaking function as the autofocus unfortunately is not that good
When I was shooting video even with two sola 1200 the RX100 would not be able to focus in auto with two UCL165...

I think you're right. Most of the macro stuff I saw was in pretty shallow water where the surge was moving me around a good bit. I don't believe in laying all over the reef to get a good photo, so it was nearly impossible to use manual focus -- I tried! Next we are going to Lembeh & Bali. I hope to have some calmer water, but I don't know what it'll be like. Since you've been there, what can you tell me about conditions there w/regards to current/surge/etc?

BTW, I have the Nauticam LCD Magnifier, which is a massive improvement over trying to use the LCD screen alone. If you have the RX100 & Nauticam, buy that accessory! You will be glad you did.

Lembeh is flat near to 0 current no surge you can use manual focus
Bali it depends Tulamben is similar to Lembeh but if you dive east coast or Nusa Penida there is plenty of currents

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom