Bonaire, which dive sites have I missed??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amajamar ... the shortcut is just that .... a shorter way back! When you are at Karpata the road is one way so you cannot just turn around and drive back along the coast. You either need to drive to Rincon and go back along the east side of the island or take the shortcut which brings you back to a spot where you are closer to town and on the road you started on. The ride through Rincon is longer but worth doing if you have never done it. The shortcut saves time and has great view of the west coast and Klein. It is not great after a rainstorm though! Steep, muddy and full of holes!

Ok, now! I didn't realize that the road that goes up the coast is one way. Is the entire road one way or just the section near Karpata?

just the section past 1000 steps.

So, on any site past 1000 Steps, in order to head back to town, you either have to drive through Rincon, or you take that little dirt road and head south that way.

Thank you for the clarification!

I'll check that out in two weeks!! :D

Toward the south - North Belham was a good dive. Saw a green moray about 8 feet long out swimming. Also saw clinging coral crab.

Bachelor's Beach is nice and also makes for a nice night dive. Lots of sand. Went swimming there when we were done diving.Very easy entry....down some steps and into the water.

Really enjoyed Pink Beach. Easy entry and a nice reef. Quiet with not many people. Nice reef and nice little beach.

So, on any site past 1000 Steps, in order to head back to town, you either have to drive through Rincon, or you take that little dirt road and head south that way.

Thank you for the clarification!

I'll check that out in two weeks!! :D

You got it - any site NORTH of 1000 Steps. I can see how you were easily confused, if you didn't know (and how would you?) that the road turns into one way. It is clearly marked at that point, and you could turn around if you didn't want to go further. To the best I can remember, that section from 1000 Steps to Karpata is the only section that is one way (save some of the streets in town, but you usually just go to the next block for a street the other way).

Have a great trip, I'll be back there in 9 days!

Hey guys,

I was asked to post the Google Earth picture of the shortcut from Karpata back to the main road near Oil Slick with some directions. I am afraid that it is a bit ghetto, but it should get the job done. The dirt road is the first one on the right. It is a pretty heavily travelled dirt road with a lot of ruts and bumps (similar to the roads in the park). Once you turn off the main road to Rincon, the road will go east up a hill. There are several houses and towers on the top of the hill. Continue east on the road down the hill and after about 15-20 minutes, you will be at the main road just north of Oil Slick.

I was also told that there is a turn off you can take that will let you go back to the main road near Witch's Hut but I did not look for it.

Karpata_Shortcut1.jpg

Also, the short cut is marked as a dirt road on the Stinapa Road Map that is available on the island. I hope this helps. Let me know if anyone would like more details.

Ryan

Although the road south of 1000 Steps is two-way, please DO drive slowly and carefully ... it's not quite wide enough for two cars ... and so a lot of people heading north assume it's a one-way road and don't pay attention. Had a serious heart-thumper (and almost head-on collision) with someone looking at his lady friend in the passenger seat whilst heading up that road at about 30 mph ... and I was heading the other way with no place to bail ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom