Bonaire VS this or Bonaire VS that ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jersey, pretty much agree with your assessment on Bonaire and GC, my two favorite places so far. Have not been to the other places you listed. Been to Bermuda once for diving and enjoyed it very much. Just about ready to book a 3 night to BDA in July. Bermuda is a beautiful island and like GC can be expensive but just like GC there are ways to economize. On this upcoming trip will likely dive only one day with Triangle. Lots to see and do topside. Let me know if you have some BDA questions.

After several years of Cozumel, the wife and I decided to try Bonaire. Like most have said, there are pros and cons; it is not the end all dive destination. We loved the ease of diving, the reefs being so close to shore, the lack of current, and the amount of small fish. We too found the Dutch to be rude, even when we were very polite. After a few days, we were growing bored with the similarity of the dive sites. We enjoyed Cozumel's variety of diving and feel that the dive quality is better; having said that, you dont always feel like drift diving. You dont always feel like being on the boat by 8:00am. Bonaire allows you do dive when and where you want. Cozumel does not. On the other side, Cozumel has Bonaire whipped when it comes to dining, both with price and quality. So, in conclusion, we are both torn and feel like we need to continue to explore the Carribean in search of "our" perfect dive destination. We love both places, and plan to return multiple times to both, but the search goes on!

As a few others have mentioned.... Bonaire is great for what it is = easy shore dive dive dive location. It is not great for big fishlife or exciting reef structure. All the reefs look the same, with exception of a few, that have slightly diff look. The same fish are found at every reef, in great quantities for sure, but not alot of turtles or rays or sharks or... anything big. Yes, a manta is spotted there about once a year but that is all.

I have sort of a Love-Hate relationship with Bonaire. I love the 24/7 diving where my husband and I can dive at our pace, where we want, for as long as we want. I hate the hassles involved with the island, like the restaurants and food issues, rude Dutch people (most of them are quite nasty, IMHO), and the constant worry of theft from vehicles parked at dive sites. (We have never had anything stolen but you always have the worry, so leave windows down and nothing inside car that would cause a thief to break window to get it.)

Alot of the Dutch are especially rude to the locals. I think us Americans treat locals much better. Just my opinion. I like the diving better on both Cozumel and Little Cayman. But I like 80-90 minutes dives on Bonaire.

Alot of the Dutch are especially rude to the locals. I think us Americans treat locals much better. Just my opinion..

I agree completely. My husband and I both look Dutch-ish but are American. The locals would have this reserved expression when we came to a store, restaurant, gas station, etc. As soon as we began to speak, the locals' expression would totally change and they would smile. A couple of times they would even blurt out, "oh you are American!" with a smile. I am glad I am not the only one who noticed or mentioned this dynamic. Conversely, on Curacao when the locals found out you where an American they tried to hike up the price on a couple of occasions at gas stations, i.e. make sure you have guilders. Never felt this way in Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom