bonaire vs. dominica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I would say that, if you have the least bit of interest in exploring topside, Dominica is a veritible paradise! The views are exquisite, the hikes lost world-like; rivers galore, waterfalls everywhere. Truly spectacular. And Dominica's residents are warm, natural folks, though many are struggling to make ends meet. I felt welcomed and respected at all times. (No problem in that regard in Bonaire, though the threat of theft is pervasive there)

I'd agree with ddawson that the diving off of both islands is easy--no currents, reasonable depths. But Dom is gorgeous and not as major a tourist or mainstream dive destination as is Bonaire. There are probably more sites in number on Bonaire than Dominica, but the quality of diving is at least as good on Dom, if not better, at least in terms of marine life.

My dive op of choice, and accomodation, are Dive Dominica and their hotel Castle Comfort.

Best Regards,

Cheers, Peter. As I am interested in spending time topside and below water, would it be correct to assume that it's best to be based in Roseau as opposed to Soufriere?

isles16:
Cheers, Peter. As I am interested in spending time topside and below water, would it be correct to assume that it's best to be based in Roseau as opposed to Soufriere?

Hi isles16,

Dominica's relatively small, though the roads are incredibly twisty, so it does take some time to get from point A to point B. That said, it shouldn't matter very much whether you're based in Soufriere or Roseau (pronounced "rose OH", by the way). All of the diving I did was from Roseau south to Scott's Head, with the majority of that closer to Scott's Head. I was based at the Castle Comfort Lodge, about a 20 minute walk from the center of Roseau. The best hikes and waterfalls are located east and northeast of Roseau in the interior. From downtown Roseau to Trafalgar Falls, a lovely waterfall just steps from the road, is about a 20-minute drive, with spectacular scenery. From Soufriere (a charming, quiet, quaint town with a very old church) to Roseau is also about 20 minutes, as I recall. Soufriere to Scotts Head, about 10 minutes. As you can see somewhat from the map linked below, Soufriere is at the end of a road that heads up into the southern interior and over to the wild east coast. That ride will afford an amazing view on the way down the other side of the ridge toward Berekua.

I rented a jeep. There are a number of agencies in and just outside of Roseau. They'll pick you up and bring you to the agency. It was very reasonable and, with a good map (and I mean good enough that you can use the map to acurately judge distances with your odometer ), it's easy to find your way about, even though road signs are scarce. The left side driving only bothered me when I had to remember which way to look when turning out of a parking lot. I traveled the length and breadth of the island a number of times and it's hard to find a spot that's not scenic! Local folks may be a bit persistent at times in offering their services as guides, but I never felt uncomfortable and was met almost universally with smiles, greetings and good wishes.

It's paradise, Mate! Enjoy !

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/islands/dm/dmmap.shtml

Best Regards,

SoCalOffshore:
What are the flight options into Dominica?

The two times I flew directly there, I took American from Miami. This involved a stop at the super busy San Juan, Puerto Rico American hub with its legions of American Eagle turboprops. Then an Eagle flight to Mellville Hall airport on the Northeastern tip of Dominica. This involves a somewhat lengthy, constantly twisty, but beautiful trip to the SW part of the island and it's towns and dive areas.

I also flew in once from Guadaloupe. If you can find a way to get to Martinique or Guadaloupe, you can puddle jump over to the Canefield airport right in the northern outskirts of Roseau. The landing is fun: almost over the rooftops of the houses near the airport.

Now all this was years ago. Perhaps someone with more recent experience can fill us in.

Best Regards,

...If you're coming to South Florida, and you're a relatively experienced diver, I'm going to recommend a great dive Op, Avid Diver, out of Pompano Beach. I've dived with the captain/owner/operator Oliver for years, dating back to the time he was a dive master on another boat. He's now running a little 6 pack. It's almost all word of mouth but it's total no-B.S. diving. The divers are generally very experienced. Oliver gets right to the point: the shortest of boat briefings, off to the site, quick site briefing and over the side to dive to your heart's content. He knows all the best sites. There's advanced tech diving available as well.

Tell him Peter Maerz sent you. (I get no monetary or other special consideration from Oliver--I just dig the operation and he's a good guy).

http://www.aviddivercharters.com/main.php?page=about-boat

Best Regards...

We found being mid-coast around Salisbury preferable to being based in either Roseau or Portsmouth.

There was a ferry that ran between Martiniqe, Dominica, and Guadeloupe when we visited, this can spare you some island-hopping flights if you get to the islands on either side of Dominica. We had uneventful transfers on AA in San Juan - but had to overnight in San Juan on the outbound leg.

http://www.dominica.dm/ferryschedule.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom