bonaire vs. dominica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kathy D

New
Reaction score
i was just wondering if anyone could give me some information/opinions about which place would be better to go for divers who are pretty much beginners....
thanks

Kathy...unfortunately I have never been to Dom. but I have been to Bonaire and it is a beginners paradise. Most dives there will be between the 25 to 45 foot depth and with tons of stuff to see. The only "catch" will be getting into and out of the dive site as they are 99% shore dives and it can be tricky at a couple of places entering and exiting the water. But if you take care and before gearing up, walk the shore line....find the best place to get in and out of, then you will be just fine.

Im sure someone here has been to Dom and can give you more information.

If you decide on Bonaire, check out www.goldenreefinn.com and the great deals Liz has. I stayed there on my visit and it was great.
Good luck.
rich

Kathy,

I been to Bonaire (3 times) and Dominica (1 time with another future trip planned).
You check my web page for trip reports and slides shows (see signature below).

The diving in both of these places is very easy for beginners.
The diving is mostly shallow and the ride to the sites is pretty short on the boats.

In Bonaire, of course you can shore dive from the house reefs as a beginner at first.
As you feel comfortable you can try some of the easy sites from the truck.
The shore diving is pretty easy in many of the locations for beginners.
Also, many people seem to really enjoy the overall experience of Bonaire.
No one can tell you what this is really like, you have to experience it.
We liked it a lot.

While the diving in Bonaire is pretty good, we like the diving in Dominica better.
I think if you we were to look at our Dominica slideshow and our Bonaire slideshows,
you will probably be able to quickly understand what kind of diving we like and why we like Dominica better.

darren

Kathy D...I just returned from Bonaire this am. i was in Dominica 3 weeks ago....and I can actually be honest and say that I love the diving in Bonaire..don't get me wrong the diving in Dominca is great...but, i would in a heartbeat go to Bonaire again.

Dove both and it's really a toss up. I think Dominica is less crowded, depending on where you stay, and might be better for the newer diver. It's also a bit cheaper. Dominica is a lot prettier than Bonaire AW.

that is very true...Dominica is much nicer aw than Bonaire....Bonaire is very desert like.....not much there..but, the diving is great.

great! looks like Dominica this trip since we're also looking for a more natural, relaxed atmosphere...will do Bonaire next I promise! my kids learned at makadi Bay in Egypt so tropical sounds like a better contrast...staying at Fort Young Hotel since the one I wanted is booked already...

Be sure to check out East Carib Dive on Dominica, we tried more than one operator when we vacationed on Dominica in Nov. 2001, and they were by far our favorite. Don't forget to click on the British flag for English language.

http://www.dominicadiving.com/

The colors of the underwater world were truly actinic in Dominica - you might consider renting a U/W camera one day while you're diving. And, you'll have loads of 'topside' beauty to photograph when not diving, as long as you spend most of your time not in town.

I'd personally would go with Anchorage Dive Centre I used them while there and they were great...nice, professional and all.

I'm facing the same decision, and I'm also relatively inexperienced. These posts are very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom