Bonaire vs Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there a better map available that maybe shows roads to dive spots? Do you rent tanks at each location or get a package that has unlimited tanks and haul them around?
There's one sold on Curacao - I've not seen it available online here. It shows all the dive sites and the roads to them but virtually none are marked with a name due to the scale.

We would just count turns off the main road - worked everywhere except to the Tugboat. We could see it from where we ended up across the bay but had to double back and thru a residential area to get there. Also if you can determine if there's a resort or condos near/on the dive site they often have signs.

Depending on where you're staying/diving Relaxed Guided Dives is an option for tank rentals - they have packages. On the main road west past the airport so convenient if you're staying in/near town and driving out. Discover Diving in Playa Lagun has a pickup bed height tank dock so that's handy also if in that area.

Most of the shore dive sites have an on-site operator. I'd estimate we rented from them maybe 1/2 the time. But there were 6 of us so we had a 2nd truck mostly for tanks. Playa Jeremi is one site to bring them - no facilities. I believe the 2 farther Gnip sites also but we didn't go there. You probably want to bring tanks to the Tugboat also - the dive school there has been in/out of business at least twice the past several years.

If you dive with Go West in Westpunt (Playa Kalki not their All West Apt's. shop) - use theirs. There's a flight of uneven stone steps down from the parking lot or their tank room which is 20' from the dive dock. It's a nice facility also, lockers, showers and they locked the locker room once they saw us heading for the water. We rented from them so it was waived but I'd expect a usage fee there - it's their dock.

Last edited:
@tkaelin , we got our tanks through Discover Diving at Playa Lagun. This was Feb 2016. You may be correct about smaller nitox tanks being available at Go West. We did check around before booking with DD, and at the time DD only had nitrox in the 80' size which I believe was the cheaper of the two dive shops. I don't remember that GoWest did have it in the 63s, but I could be wrong.

We will most likely be back in 2018 (I hope) & will check out Go West again & compare them with DD. We stay at a place nearly equidistance between the two & the nitrox 63's would be Great! (It's nice that in Bonaire the nitrox is not an extra charge - just another difference between the 2 islands). But yes, Curacao has easier entrances. :wink:

Funny thing, I HATE sandy beach entries, you've got sand everywhere once you're out, give me rocks, irons shore, anything but sand!!!

Flutter, if you're husband is good for it, have him do the 'dive sherpa' thing. Last trip, because my SO hurt herself just before the trip I was carrying her kit (BP/W + integrated weights + tank) to 4-5 ft deep water so she could put it on while floating, it slows things down a little bit, but on Bonaire you've got ample time, and it allowed us to keep diving without her having to experience pain. In your case it would just make entries easier.

@Atom ,
True about the sand. We now bring gallon jugs of water in the back of our vehicle to rinse off after exit. :wink:.
I do like the sherpa idea - and we have been doing that on the rougher entrances or when the "hike" from our vehicle is further than I like (Weber's Joy & Jeff Davis in Bonaire). And we haven't done the 1000 steps for this reason (but figure we've dived the south end of it, going N from Weber's Joy). :wink:. I do pull the wt pockets out of my bc, & carry both sets of masks & fins, while my husband "schleps" both his & my gear. On those dives - he tells me, I "owe him". :eyebrow:Lol. We recently started diving Cayman Brac - shore diving. Very similar to Bonaire entrance/exits but with "cut-out" steps/stairs/ladder entrance/exits on 5 or so, & "finger/groove" reefs rather than the wall type (of either Bonaire or Curacao). Very fun! We leave for Bonaire in a few days - can't wait!!! :yeahbaby:

On our recent trip to Curacao staying at Allwest and diving Playa Grandi, while the entry was easy I found myself taking off my fins and booties cleaning out my booties in the shallows on each dive. You would not believe the amount of sand and pebbles in the booties from just the entry. I confess that I where those low cut mares booties.

Flutter, what shore dives did you do in Curacao other than the house reefs at Allwest and Kura. I must admit our one day out in the truck to shore dive was not very successful. Playa Knippe was packed and we could not park. We went on to Playa Lagun, was able to find parking right by the beach but it was packed as well. The dive was so so but probably bc we never made it out to the reef, just followed the left wall/shore out then back.

@tkaelin , I am sorry that your shore diving at Curacao didn't measure up to your expectations. We have been to Curacao 3 times & soon are heading to Bonaire for the 3rd time. My husband prefers Curacao slightly better; I like them both for their differences. :D
When diving in Curacao, we always stay in Westpunt (at Marazul, just south of Go West). I knew we wanted to be located in Westpunt so we could take advantage of all the nearby dive sites our 1st year, and that location worked out very well for us, so we keep going back there. There are other fine lodgings nearby. As you know, Curacao is a considerably larger island than Bonaire. Choosing to lodge in Westpunt (Marazul) means we are not convenient to the city or shopping, which suits us fine (until we run out of tp or coffee & it takes 1/2 day to go to town). ;(. When we travel to the water, it is mostly all about the diving. ;D. (And Yes! we had thin soled, low top booties on our 1st trip to Bonaire & immediately ordered "shore diving" high top booties for our upcoming trip to Curaco. Low tops & thin soles don't work well for shore diving). :D

We LOVE shore diving in Bonaire & Curacao, & Cayman Brac!!

*** A note here, about Curacao - you DO have to swim out a very good distance (well beyond the bay) before you get to the reefs. Much farther, in some cases (like GroteKnip/Klein Knip) than any sites in Bonaire. We bought the "Curacao (shore) Diving Guide" which is very similar to Bonaire's "Shore Diving Made Easy". (Having already dived Bonaire before we went to Curacao, I asked around while we were contacting about lodgings to see if Curacao had such a guide - they do. It helps a lot, in planning, since everything is further distance in Curacao than Bonaire). And in Curacao, the same as in Bonaire, leave NOTHING of value (we leave drinking/rinsing water & our bag lunches, no towels, clothes, etc) in your car, EVER.

So going south from Playa Kalki in Westpunt, we've dived the following:

Playa Kalki (Go West dive shop is here) - Get there early or avoid wkends to avoid crowds & to get parking (diving tourists are bussed in here). A hotel & Go West dive shop is on site. We walk down & into the water to the far right of the restaurant. Less people there. We have dived the reef to the north & south. We enjoyed 2 frogfish in less than 10' water during our 2nd visit to Curacao at this site. They were on the same rock/reef clump the last 5 days (we visited them snorkeling). This is a lovely, gradual wall reef with lots of critters! But, yes, with lots of sand. :wink:. You'll need tall booties & jugs of water in the back of your vehicle for ALL Curacao sites. The hike down/up from parking is the hardest part. This is one of our favorite reefs.

Playa Grandi/Bosca Picado/Fishermen's Dock - Watch out for the glass in parking, & all the way to the water. This is a quiet area when the fishermen are out. A Great night-dive. There is an iron Neptune statue straight out (& to right) at 25' that makes for a good return spot on a night dive. Lovely reef w lots of fish & turtles due to the fishermen throwing fish scraps after their cleaning. (5 local turtles know the schedule & hang around the reef). We've dived the reef going both to the north & south, day & hight. Lovely reef with easy access. One of our favorite reefs.

Playa Forti - a small local, public beach located just south of the AllWest lodgings. (In between Playa Grandi & Marazul house reef). Avoid wkends if small, local crowds bother you (crowds are smaller than either at Playa Lagun or Play Jeremy) but if there is nothing in your car - no worries. You can see Playa Grandi to the north. Great access to the Marazul house reef to the south here. We have dived Forti both north & south. Close parking above the beach with easy access. Quiet area usually.

Marazul house reef - we stay at Marazul, so we dive this reef often, both north & south. Besides the usuals, a nurseshark seen here. Private access, one of our favorite, a lovel reefs.

Grote Knip/Klein Knip - 2 similar sites. Diving early mornings is best here. Avoid on wkends entirely, to avoid huge crowds of beach loving tourists bussed from the city 45 min away. Parking is gone quickly on wkends & afternoons. These reefs both have loooong swim outs before you get to anything. In my opinion, other locations are just as nice with less hassle & crowds. :wink:. We have dived both sites in both directions. There is however, a Lovely spot/overlook for a great photo of the Grote beach/bay area, if you get here before the crowds.

Playa Jeremy - another local beach to visit early mornings or wkdays with parking above the beach. Sat & Sun will have small local crowds (less than Playa Lagun). This is another lovely reef - a favorite of ours.

Playa Lagun - Discover Divers is on site with a restaurant. We get our tanks/package through them & load up for the other sites. Again, dive here early morning or wkdays because on Sat/Sun THIS is the LOCAL beach to be, and becomes VERY crowded & parking is difficult. :D Again, sorry, @tkaelin . We have seen seahorses, squid, octopus and all the other critters here. This is one of our favorites due to the critters seen in the lagun, more than the actual reef itself, but we have dived both north/south on this reef.

Play Hundo - this is a very remote dive site & if it has been rainy, you might need a truck. You leave your vehicle where the road ends (quite a way in) & walk to the water (a small ratty shack is off to the right as you face the water). At about 18' and a little to the north, there is a lush bed of staghorn here. The reef drops quickly beyond that to over 130' , so not a far swim out, at all. This is a drive from our lodgings, so we do 2 tanks here if we come. Very remote.

Porto St. Marie - we also do a 2 tank dive when we come here & bring a bag lunch, as it is a drive for us. There is a large hotel, beach restaurant, restrooms, & dive shop on site, but we bring our tanks & introduce ourselves to the shop staff. We have been told they are ok with that & let us leave our dry bag with them. We drive down to the shop, unload, & then my husband parks the vehicle in parking - a hike. You might have to pay for parking here - not sure. We gear up in the shop's gear up area & head into the water. There are a lot of people on the beach here - everywhere! We try not to step on them. Oooops! Do NOT use the private dive shop dock. This is a fabulous double reef that has a mooring ball just before the 1st reef. It drops fairly deep quickly - 90'.+. Lots of critters, absolutely lovely reef. We could easily do 3 tanks here. This is one of our favorites. There are always going to be crowds here, due to the hotel. Other general tourists & divers are also bussed/shuttled here from the city. Mornings are probably less busy.

Curacao has tons of other dive sites, going south as well as north of Westpunt. We have only touched a few. @tkaelin , we have yet to do a boat dive here. I'm sure rhey are great, but we are kept busy revisiting our favorites shore sites & discovering a few more, each trip. Maybe give it another shot. If so, look into buying the Curacao Diving Guide for shore divers. It is excellent. We do rent a vehicle by the week so we have flexibility & can haul our tanks. If you travel with non- divers, it might be a totally different situation (most Curacao dive sites DO have lovely beaches, however. You just have to time it to avoid the crowds).

Last edited:
@Flutter Any resources on shore diving at Cayman Brac that can be useful? I found some on shore diving Little Cayman but not Brac.

Hi Flutter, thanks for the detailed info. We loved our dive trip to Curacao and being in Westpunt. Our shore dives at Playa Kalki and Grandi were first class. It was just our one time out exploring that did not work so well. The factors though was that it was New Years and with the holiday it seemed like everyone was at a playa. Also, I could have done a better job also getting shore dive details for some of the sites like Lagun, Jeremi and Knippe. We will definitely be returning. Shore diving/dive trip to Brac is on the list. Thanks again.

@tkaelin , glad to hear your entire trip wasn't a wash out. Yes, holidays & wkends both tourists & locals would be out & about celebrating on the beach & in the water. (The locals work hard & long hours M-Sat, so we go to the "popular sites" mornings & wkdays). :). Definitely get your hands on the Curacao shore diving guide for your next trip - in advance, if possible (we may have ordered it from a dive shop a couple weeks in advance). We plan each day's dive just the night before the dive, but it is handy to understand your options prior to arrival, due to the size of the island. Also, the people at Discover Divers are busy (& a small shop), but if you are patient (or eat at their restaurant, buy a coffe/dessert, etc) they are very willing to help you with questions, especially if you have the shore dive book handy and just want to fill in some "blanks". We picked their "brains" (& other divers we ran across at sites). I would imagine to GoWest folks would help as well, if you get tanks through them. In Westpunt, Sol Foods restaurant's owner (the restaurant is only open wkend eves, & make a rsvp on their website, or "walk-in" & be happy wherever they put you) has put together a "travel log" which includes her favorite dive sites. It is helpful companioned with the earlier mentioned printed guide. And interesting reading about the island from a local's perspective. :D
@tarponchik , we rent from vrbo.com when we go to Cayman Brac (as we do at Marazul & Bonaire). We have gotten 2 "owner recommended dive site" handouts for Cayman Brac as we rented from 2 different owners who are divers there. We asked, both times, if they had any recommended sites/info. The guides are different, so it is great to compare & then add our own experiences into the mix. One is 4 pages & the other is 7 pages. If you want to pm me, I would be happy to get you the information - or, you could open up the conversation on scubaboard, on the Caman Brac region, & I could comment there. There are 25 "official" Cayman Brac dive sites according to my 7 page "divers guide" (which was put together by the local shore divers group there, who volunteer to maintain the marker rocks & entrances/exits). And then, if you figure you can dive both directions that makes for 50 dives. Plus, some sites have more than 1 mooring area to dive. I think we have dived about 10 or so of them (both directions). We think the local group has done a great job. We have been to Cayman Brac just twice (so far) and have a spring trip booked this March. @tarponchik , at Cayman Brac, divers MUST dive with surface markers. We swim out with one, hook it to the mooring line, at depth, where we will veer off either n/s, & then complete our dive. Our 1st year, we tried to actually tow the marker. The seas were very rough that year, and towing it was extremely difficult at depth. So now we tie it off & swim right & left of it, & then move it to a new spot for the next tank, & repeat. If we were going to dive deep to the wall (some do), we might drag it out to the mooring there. I'm not sure what the proper procedure is - we'd have to ask. There is 1 dive shop that rents tanks to shore divers (the Brac Shack) & then an all-inclusive resort. (It is a tiny island). Most locals only use bikes.
We have not been to Little Cayman (yet) or Grand Cayman - I don't like urban, so much (GC) so just haven't felt the need to go there, and prefer vrbo to all-inclusive lodgings (LC), thus Cayman Brac. :D Pm me, if you want, or maybe my email is on my profile (?) and I could send attachments. Happy bubbles.
:)

I don't like urban, so much (GC) so just haven't felt the need to go there,
Don't be too quick to write off GC, particularly if you travel there on to Brac. Yes 7mb and GT with the cruise crowd can be bit much, but the East End has a completely different feel and vibe. Sort of like westpunt but with a few more amenities. The diving is excellent but have only done boat. Haven't done any shore diving on the East End. The shore diving in West Bay past 7mb is very good as well and is not nearly as crowded as 7mb but not quite as remote as the East End.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom