Bonaire vs. Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kay

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am debating the best choice of diving vacation destinations. Some people that I know strongly recommend Bonaire, and say at Divi Flamingo. I got on line and found there is also a Divi at Cayman Brac. I have three questions. First, have you ever stayed at Divi on Bonaire, and what did you think of the diving there? Second, have you ever stayed at Divi on Cayman Brac and how was the diving? Finally, if you've been to both, which did you prefer and why?
Thanks in advance!

I have been to both more than once. The ease of shore diving is a really nice option at the Divi Flamingo. The quiet of the Brac far surpasses Bonaire. Cayman Brac is more intimate, almost everyone that is diving is also eating at the restaurant that is on the hotel prop.This usually makes for more interaction with others who are doing the same thing as you are and it is easy to meet and make new friends. The nice thing about Bonaire is you can walk to town and visit allot of different restaurants. The diving is excellent at both but the advantage that the Divi Brac has is that you can take trips to Little Cayman which is probably the best diving in the Carribean. I would agree that Bonaire does have allot of macro subjects, so if this is your thing, you might not like the Brac. We always have seen plenty of lobster, sharks, eagle rays, stingrays, turtles and big green morays on the Brac. On Bonaire it is more common to find a seahorse, goldentail moray, possibly a frog fish and plenty of juvenile fish.
On Bonaire you can visit Lac bay and watch the windsurfing, on the Brac you can go to the Bluff or explore the caves. Bonaire has Klein right off shore, it's about a 40min. ride to LC from the Brac. There are more beaches on the Brac but not allot more at the resort, the Brac has a bit more than Bonaire. The diving as far as the DM's go, I would say that the Brac is much more customer orientated than the DM's on Bonaire. The diving off Bonaire starts from shore or boat dives unto the reef at 20 to 40 ft. on the Brac it's more like 30 to 50.
I prefer the Brac because, it's closer, easier to get to. I like the diving alittle better and the DM's are more helpful.
If shore diving is your thing then I wouldn't suggest the Brac although we've done plenty of shore dives it's not as easy on the Brac.
After the hurricane swell wrecked the north side of Klein, I would say diving is still good but nowhere as good as it used to be on Bonaire. The sponges off Little Cayman are not equalled in Bonaire.
The rooms are about the same at the Brac or Bonaire, but the condos at Bonaire are nowhere near as nice at the Brac. However, the condos were currently under construction and with the Ivan damage on Grand Cayman, it may be along time until the condos are back up and running. They just have a very limited number of contractors on the Brac.
The down side to the business of Bonaire is that cruise ships are coming into port and it can get crazy, on the Brac, no cruise ships and no pod people.
How's that for a comparison?
Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Hi Caymaniac, very thorough!! Thanks ever so much. I'm leaning towards Cayman Brac...

Kay:
Hi Caymaniac, very thorough!! Thanks ever so much. I'm leaning towards Cayman Brac...

I have not been to Cayman Brac yet. It is on my list to do. I just got from Bonaire and all I can say is Freedom. Dive when you want, where you want 24-7. No boats, no lines, no Schedules .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom