Bonaire trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went bonaire in April,

1. Do not miss the land activities... wind surfing, kite surfing, lac bay, slagbaii national park, seru largu..., feeding wild donkeys if you're into that, just driving around and taking pictures, like salt works etc
2. Do not miss dive sites: Invisibles, Tori's Reef (for fish variety), Hilma Hooker (from shore), Karpata, Oil Slick.. mainly for the leap, Salt pier

We love the far southern sites, but all diving on Bonaire is good. :) We'll be arriving about a month after you, so please post a trip report to get me through the last couple of weeks. Have a great time, and remember to relax and enjoy the slow pace of the island.

I am vacationing in Bonaire the first week of June. Does anyone have some "do not miss" or other related info that might be useful to know? We will be staying at Buddy Dive.

Keep an eye out for Captain Bonarian....

Hilma Hooker from boat is good too. You go in over a colorful, shallow reef, then on to the wreck, and pass back over the reef on the way out. But from shore, it is exactly as advertised; amazing and surprising.

Since phoenix31tt

posted about Seru Largu, a hill top with a monument honoring Christ that offers a great view of the island, here's a link to a panorama of that view. I've been by night, but not during the day time. When I'm in Bonaire, saying anything to me that doesn't equate to 'Let's go shore dive here,' or 'Let's go eat there' tends to get a lukewarm response.

Washington-Slagbaai Park does offer some photo opportunities:

IMG_0166_1_zpse9b46cea.jpg

IMG_0167_1_zpsc597808a.jpg

IMG_8308-1.jpg

Here's the Oil Slick Leap giant stride point:

IMG_8380_1-1.jpg

Take apples if you want to feed the donkeys:

IMG_0335_1-1.jpg

Richard.

My advice is don't worry too much about "must-do" lists or "must-dive" sites. There are really no "bad" dive sites, and even without advance planning you will find yourself hitting the spots on both land and sea that people invariably hit. To me, the beauty of Bonaire is that you can dive at your own pace, where you want, when you want. Some people enjoy planning planning planning, and if that's your thing, then by all means lay out what you want to do in advance. For me and the group I dive with, the beauty of Bonaire is being able to wake up, get moving at whatever pace we feel like that day, decide whether we want to dive (there are other things to do!), and where we want to dive, and then pack up and go. The freedom is a breath of fresh air for those of us accustomed to boat diving or resorts where our schedules are pre-planned for us. Relax and have fun!

My advice is don't worry too much about "must-do" lists or "must-dive" sites. There are really no "bad" dive sites, and even without advance planning you will find yourself hitting the spots on both land and sea that people invariably hit. To me, the beauty of Bonaire is that you can dive at your own pace, where you want, when you want. Some people enjoy planning planning planning, and if that's your thing, then by all means lay out what you want to do in advance. For me and the group I dive with, the beauty of Bonaire is being able to wake up, get moving at whatever pace we feel like that day, decide whether we want to dive (there are other things to do!), and where we want to dive, and then pack up and go. The freedom is a breath of fresh air for those of us accustomed to boat diving or resorts where our schedules are pre-planned for us. Relax and have fun!
I second this!

Back
Top Bottom