Bonaire Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi, everyone...!

Just thought that I would post a little something about Bonaire. I just got back last night from a week at Buddy Dive with my two sons (17 and 13), both certified, the younger one a few weeks ago at Dutch Springs (http://www.rothschilddesign.com/dutch).

We had an incredibly great trip, despite a little flight delay leaving the island due to Hurricane Felix passing just above us early Sunday morning (hey, I PICKED Bonaire because it was supposed to be south of the hurricane belt!). I can very much recommend Buddy Dive, they were even great with the weather problems...

Another big plus for travelers from the New York area is Continental's non-stop from Newark to Bonaire. It's once a week, and you have to leave at midnight, but that actually works out great. We got in at around 5 AM after an easy four and a half hour flight on a half empty jet (space to sleep!), the Buddy Dive shuttle driver picked us up, dropped us off in our rooms and said "take a nap and check in when you wake up". I much prefer this to blowing off a dive day by traveling through connections... I was able to dive by 11 AM after arriving!

There has been a lot written about how great Bonaire is for diving, shore diving especially, and I don't need to reiterate that here. No question this is the best diving that I have done in the Caribbean. These people really take reef conservation seriously, it's a magical place. And the fact that my sons (especially my younger son) could do a LOT of easy, safe dives was great for getting good diving and equipment habits rehearsed early on.

Buddy Dive also made it very easy with the included rental truck and their easy in and out filling station.. Great rooms, great breakfast, great dive and photo staff. The "digital doctor" at the photo station was terrific in helping me out with the fine points of my new Ikelite housing for my DSLR. Also the people at Reef Photo gave them some high power focusing lights to loan us to try out on our night dives.

Anyway, just a shout-out to the people of Bonaire and the folks at Buddy Dive. Feel free to write with questions if you are thinking of going...

My photos here: http://www.rothschilddesign.com/bonaire07

Mike

great photos...thanks for sharing....

Very nice Doc, Love to see homegrown dive buddies having so much fun...

Excellent shots. I am in Bonaire in November and CANNOT wait. I am curious to hear about diving there this week to know if any reefs were damaged by the storm. Thankfully the hurricane passed north of the island, but the storm could still do damage. Hopefully not.

I too picked Bonaire partly because it was supposed to be south of the Hurricane belt...guess nothing is for certain.

Mike,

Couldn't help but notice in a few of the pictures huge piles of white stuff. Are they mining sea salt there? Is that sand?

doesn't look like any damage at all to me:
http://www.bonairewebcams.com/TheWorks.php

bvmjethead - Yes, Bonaire produces sea salt. The whole southern end of the island is salt flats with bulldozers piling it up and loading it onto conveyors which load it onto boats at the Salt Pier. All the "slave huts" in photos are where the slaves used to live while manually doing the job many many years ago. Its a big part of Bonaire history and an area you need to see when you are there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom