Bonaire - really want to go but need some help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm heading back to the US for a visit in June and I have some friends who told me to come down but they are already booked into a condo there so I need to figure out my own accommodation etc. I've never been and have only done the barest of research so far.

I'll be traveling by myself and as this is a rather unexpected opportunity would like to keep costs as low as possible to make it more likely I can actually do it! I'd like to spend about a week diving. I'd love if someone else were going and wanted to share accommodation etc. I will be diving with my friends quite a bit but will also have time where it's just me so I'll need buddies, too :)

I can't really seem to find any information on costs for things like meals out and drinks etc - ballparks would be great so I could have some idea before I head down and find I have to eat ramen noodles for a week :D

has anyone hired dive gear? I have a dismal luggage allowance from here to the US and don't really want to drag all my kit for only a week of diving. If you have, how expensive was it? Was it comfortable? I'm pretty low maintenance when it comes to needing my own gear, really - I can dive in most anything as long as it works and at least kinda fits!

What else do I need to think about? Looks like I can get airfares from where I will be in the US to Bonaire for about $650ish.

Appreciate the help!

I have a dismal luggage allowance from here to the US
I'm surprised—check that. At least a few Asian airlines bump the allowance up for itineraries that have US legs. For example, Cathay gives economy passengers a 20-kg allowance for trips within Asia, and to Europe, Australia, etc. If you are flying to North or South America, however, they give you two 50-pound bags. Singapore Air and Air New Zealand, at least, do the same thing.

If they have new baggage policies, the websites of Cathay, Qantas, Air New Zealand and Singapore Air have not yet reflected them.

Alcina, when exactly are you planning on being there? We will be there May 25 - June 2. I'd be willing to bring an extra kit for you.
Otherwise, can your friends bring extra gear with them? If they brought a nice reg and a good BC, you could always hire fins and a wetsuit. It wouldn't add much weight for you to bring your own computer and mask.
Or, just show up and hire everything! Nothing wrong with that if you don't mind semi-Ill fitting gear!

On another note, Singapore Air recently allowed 2, 50 pound bags per person plus carry ons when I flew to Indonesia and back.

LOL I'm regretting saying anything about the luggage allowance now :D

I don't land in the US until the 6th June so am looking between 8/9 June - 19th June sometime. I have flexibility at this stage on the exact week or so I'll go.

Yeah, I don't mind gear that isn't 100% perfect fit - as long as it works, I'm good! I've gotten some info on where to get hire gear so hopefully the recommended shops will get back to me and let me know what's what. The gear is the least of things, really. Have to work out the budget with accommodation, diving options. food & drink estimates etc to see if I can throw this unexpected additional holiday into my year!

I have hired gear from Great Adventures in Bonaire. It was Aqualung gear in good condition, and they had a wide enough selection to properly fit myself (1.85m, 100 kg) with full gear and my fiancee (1.65m, 45 kg) with snorkeling gear, including wetsuit. They charge $139 for unlimited tanks for 6 days. They are affiliated with Harbour Village, which is out of your budget, but I don't think you have to be a guest to use them. Anyway, they are probably not the cheapest, but hopefully the data point will be a useful indicator.

Some suggestions:

Stay off the water - there's often quite a difference in price. Also June is low season so that will help.

Check out the DiveHut - off water and affordable. They have a June special:
DIVE-PACKAGES
Divehut's unbeatable packages include:
- 7 nights accommodation Divehut including roomtaxes (2 persons occ.)
- 7 days rental of double cabin pick-up truck including CDW insurance and taxes
- 6 days unlimited air/nitrox and weights including use of our dive facility

Rates are:
USD 550 per person based on hotelroom
USD 585 per person based on studio
USD 620 based on 1-bedroom apartment

Diving is thru WannaDive who get good reviews here. Wannadive also has package rates with other modestly priced rental properties: Accommodations » Wannadive Bonaire - Courses, shore and boat diving

Another option is Coco Palm/Casa Oleander. Located in Belnem so you'll need a car to get to anything - five mins. south start the really good south dive sites - five mins. north to Kralendijk and any food options. It's in a residential area but you can walk to Bachelors Beach - a dive site. Bonaire self-contained budget vacation accommodation for scuba diving, windsurfing, snorkeling

They work with Dive Friends Bonaire for diving. Welcome to Dive Friends Bonaire

Maybe Carib Inn also. They're waterfront - walking distance from town and have studios from $109/nt. A week shoredive pkg. with them is also $109. Bruce Bowker the owner has an excellent reputation.

Carribbean Court is one to look at also. IDK much about them except they're affiliated with Buddy Dive. So you could use Buddy's drive-thru tank pickup for shore diving - the resort itself is about a block up the hill from the water. Cheapest budget dive, hike, bike and kite holiday deals and Bonaire packages Car would be required as it's a little north of town. Their prices are a little higher but that includes everything. And they have single pricing.

Website for all things Bonaire: Info Bonaire - The Bonaire Information Site - The Most Current and Up-To-Date Information

Food costs are about what you'd expect at a Caribbean island where everything is imported. High - but not excessive. There's a few reasonable lunch options: Wattaburger, KFC, Maiky Snak, Bobbe-Jans BBQ. - up to $30-50+ for dinner at It Rains Fishes - downtown with harbor views. http://www.itrainsfishesbonaire.com/p/16/69/dinner or Casablanca - (link at the bottom of the page) - they give you massive amounts of food also. http://www.restaurantcasablanca.com/menu.htm

Places like Donna/Giorgios, Pasa Bon Pizza, Rumrunners are in the $20-30 range. Food is also fairly high but there is http://www.warehousebonaire.com/ as well as several markets in town if you want to cook.

The U.S. dollar is now the official currency on Bonaire so that makes it easier. I think the tax is 16% on just about everything and there's a departure tax when you leave ($32?)

hth,

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom