Bonaire Poll, treacherous shore diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! What a blowout of extremes! Diving is easy, diving is difficult...

We made our second trip to Bonaire this past summer. We chose to make it two weeks instead of a single week. Our thinking was "Hey, lets take it easy and dive when we want to and sight see when we want to..."

Oops! 68 dives in that two week period for me. I used semi-hard soled boots and wish I had used full hard sole boots.

Entries at every dive spot can be easy or hard. It depends on how much time you spend looking for the entry point that will make your dive that much easier. We dove with cameras. That adds a particular level of difficulty in finding the correct entry point... But, we took the time to look over each site and determine which entry was the right one for us.

Yes, there were sites that fooled us, and yes we all took a tumble here and there, but for the most part, we came out of it with minimal scratches and some great pictures.

I was a catcher in baseball for over 20 years and an umpire for another 10... My knees are not much more than paper mache' these days... But, I am ready to make another trip to Bonaire for the great sights!

Well I strongly suspect the problem is that you "went all over the west side". There are many sites on the west side which my wife with RA & bad ankles is not capable of diving.. BUT, there are many sites which are EZ where you can just walk right in..Just to name a few...
1. Something Special
2. The Rock
3. Windsock
4. Oil Slick (jump in)
5. Bachelor Beach
You have to be careful choosing sites to dive.

Add here Cliff and the house reef of Sand $, whatever it is called.

House reef at Sand Dollar is Bari. They have been less than cordial to non Sand Dollar clients lately.

Front Porch is immediately next door to the south. It is the site of a demolished resort. That site has a sand entry. There my be construction there now, but it was an easy drive-up dive in.

House reef at Sand Dollar is Bari. They have been less than cordial to non Sand Dollar clients lately.

Front Porch is immediately next door to the south. It is the site of a demolished resort. That site has a sand entry. There my be construction there now, but it was an easy drive-up dive in.

As of last June, you could still do an easy walkin entry, just south of the wall at Den Lamen. Park right next to Den Lamen, and walk down to the sand at the edge of their beach.

Den Lamen/SandDollar no longer lets non guest use their dock for entries to Bari. NOT in the original spirit of Bonaire shore diving being open to all, but there are always ways to get around silly selfish rules.

On our second trip to Bonaire this past November we arrived during very unsettled weather with the attitude of most cold water divers that Bonaire shore diving was a piece of cake compared to B.C. shore diving. One good pounding at Angel City, where we all were hurt and one should have been stiched up, gave us new respect for wind reversals and surge. The most disconcerting thing for me was the exit with surge and zero vis due to sand being stirred up. A few times I was right on top of rocks and dead coral without even seeing it. Trying to exit over the dead staghorn at Candyland in surge would have been suicidal. Two very easy entries I would add are Pink beach, just north of the last palm tree, and Tolo. Contrary to gert7to3's experience, when we found that Peter's octo was free flowing before a dive at Bari, BDA swapped it out with one of thier rentals without charge.

On our second trip to Bonaire this past November we arrived during very unsettled weather with the attitude of most cold water divers that Bonaire shore diving was a piece of cake compared to B.C. shore diving. One good pounding at Angel City, where we all were hurt and one should have been stiched up, gave us new respect for wind reversals and surge.

Very wise!! Never dove BC, but I did the Jersey shore which had it's share of waves, currents, 55 degree water, rips etc.
However usually the bottom was sand. NOT generally the case on Bonaire.
Don't let the placid ocean fool you. No doubt many folks have underestimated & fallen down sustaining various injuries from the minor (to their ego) to the major.

My husband and I are heading to Bonaire for the first time next week, thanks to all of you for this great infomation! We will start with the sites that have the "easiest" entries, check conditions before diving, and go from there. If feel much more prepared just from reading this thread.

My husband and I are heading to Bonaire for the first time next week, thanks to all of you for this great infomation! We will start with the sites that have the "easiest" entries, check conditions before diving, and go from there. If feel much more prepared just from reading this thread.
Choose the hardest sole booties you can...

I thought the troubles to my knees and ankle were directly related to two weeks of Bonaire diving... UNTIL...

Someone older and wiser than I asked me a few questions...

1) (based on my physical size) You were an athlete in your school days? Yes
2) You played baseball? Yes
3) Catcher? 15 years, and 5 years as an umpire

Son, you have arthritis, not Bonaire bruises...

Three days with Naproxen and I am certain my aches and pains were surely arthritic pains that were aggravated by the bronze shore, but not caused by it...

I'll reiterate.

Survey the site. If in doubt, dive elsewhere.
Float your gear in and out as warranted.
Use fin/mask/camera keepers clipped to BC to free up hands.
Reduce your exposure to wave action and increase your stability by turning sideways and shuffling your feet to feel out your next step.
Grasp wrists with your buddy for mutual support.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom